Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

HS Precision IMPORTANT quality control and customer service.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Silver Member
Re: HS Precision IMPORTANT quality control and customer service.

If the gun was in parts, i.e. barrel, action and stock separate, can it not be shipped (separately)because it is not a complete weapon? When I lived in IT, I sent everyting thru Vatican post because the local post office could not be trusted to keep their hands out of my stuff that was sent home. Next, maybe try befriending someone in the U.S. armed forces over there. Give them the gun to send back here. Hopefully some of this helped.
AR-10T in .308 & .243 both 24"
700 LA 7 WSM 30" 5R
AR-15 Rock River lower, WOA 26" varmint upper
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308

Unread 05-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

esorensen, That sounds like a nice idea and as luck would have it I have a an American friend with the U.S. Navy who is stationed at the barracks in Sicily.

If I gave him the rifle to send I am pretty sure he'd simply send it, as we've spoken about getting things like scopes from the US and circumventing import tax, but then again I'm also pretty sure I'd be breaking some local laws and could risk having it siezed, even though we "probably wouldn't get caught".

If I can legally assign the firearm to him then maybe it could be done, but it means taking it to Sicily personaly, (700km away) or organizing for it to be shipped to a dealer near him.

Life is complicated in Italy, unless of course, you have friends in the Vatican...
Unread 05-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

I do not know the regulations for shipping the rifle back to the States to HS, but if you can, that is exactly what I would do........directly back not through Bignami.

Second, get on the phone the HS and keep working your way up the ladder until you get someone important on the phone. You want a title of at LEAST "general manager" "vice president" or "president". DO NOT rant and rave or call them names on the phone. That will simply give them an excuse to hang up on you. Be polite, direct and forcefull but do not get off the phone the until someone of sufficient rank gives you an answer that you like. If you follow those rules and they get rude with you or hang up, then let us know here. We may not be able to help, but we need to know not to deal with them in the future.

Now....I bought an HS 338 RUM about a year ago. Other than It being about 2 months late I have been pleased with the rifle.

It will shoot 1/2 moa but it took quite a bit of load development to get it there. The groups open up considerably if the barrel is not allowed to cool between shots, especially the third shot, it will walk as much as an inch to the right if I shoot a three shot group quickly.

The safty was "sticky" when I first got it, but it is fine after I worked it a few times.

I did not like the fact the aluminum bedding block was not actually bedded to the action. I did a bedding job on the stock before I fired the first shot.

I am not going to defend HS in your particular instance, but I have been quite pleased with the rifle I have from them and it's performance.

I will also agree with those who have said their products are way overpriced for what you get. Kirby built a 338 Kahn for me during the same time I was waiting on my HS. It was my first custom rifle. Kirby is now building a second rifle for me, and I'm sure it will turn into a 4th, 5th,.......... For the price of an HS you can have Kirby or Shawn or one of the other great smiths on this site build a full custom rifle. Then when (more like IF) you have a problem, you know exactly who to talk to!!
Unread 05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

You just confirmed the 1 Europe theory,

with regards to EU regulations.

The Germans make the rules
The Brits abide by the rules
The French ignore the rules
and the Italians don't know they exist.

It is a very simple matter to personaly import and exprot fire arms in any country in the EU.

If you have any local problems with regards non EU i.e. the states.Check out what they want with regards to shipping to another EU country.
Ship the rifle to me and i'll ship it on to HS for you as a favour. you pay the postage and claim it back from HS.
Alternatively, if your US mate in Sicily is licensed to own firearms, sell thr rifle to him, have him ship it to HS, and when its back, buy it back of him.
Where there is a will there is a way !!!

re the HS ive got in at the mo. it looks like it was just a loose screw on the front base causing the accuracy problems,
But i must say, its a left handed rifle, for some reason its had part of the stock milled out for either a remington safety catch, or the HS bolt stop release on the left side and its been filled, but filled badly. The stock on the rifle is definately not to the standard of the HS stocks ive ordered in for use on remingtons and hansens.

regards Pete
Occupying the British Zone.
Unread 05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Pete, we should check but maybe sending something to the US and back as a repair-guarantee work, not as independent export and import, will avoid some costs... and maybe make import-export paperwork easier.

Now importing stuff from the US takes time occassionally.....
Unread 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Bronze Member

Just some FYI about HS,

If you spoke to Todd, that is Tom Houghton Sr's son, so you are at VP level all ready, but the next level up is Tom Jr, then Tom Sr.. If I were you I would phone and ask to speak to Todd again, and tell him to tell you exactly what to do fix this problem. HS should incur all costs as well. HS needs to line this up with Bignami, they need to be calling the ball, but if you can, try to send and return a fax to HS to confirm the conversation and the agreement. Then at least there is something in writing...

As far as I know the groups shot for record are still shoulder fired off a bench, with rear bag and front rest, not out of a machine vise....

Unread 05-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Express, you have my sympathies. I don't own any HS rifles, but customer service inside the States is generally very good. Without having read all the posts in this thread, let me add:

* HS Precision is not responsible for getting your rifle back to them for repair, that would be your task. I think Pete Lincoln had an excellent idea that you should seize on. In the US, generally the customer pays shipping to the factory or depot for repair, and the factory pays the return shipping costs --- but not always, and it certainly may be different when customer and factory are in different countries with different firearm rules. If you talk with HS again, ask them what their policy is with regard to paying for shipping for quality-control problems.

* Second, I talked to HS Precision about making a lefthanded stock for me a few months ago. I was told they use a righthanded mold, then fill the inlets and recut new ones by hand for a lefthanded stock. That sounds like what you have and it apparently was done in a sloppy manner.

* If you haven't done so, I would shoot the rifle to see whether tightening the barrel fixed the accuracy problem. This was definitely a quality control issue at HS and should never have happened. It's pretty easy to imagine how the headspace could increase and accuracy could find its way to the crapper, and it might have even become a safety issue.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.