Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

HS Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2002, 08:34 PM

HS Precision

Any feedback on HS Precision rifles before I spend my allowance? Thanks for any, Tommy
Old 02-10-2002, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: HS Precision

Tommy,
I have been shooting an HS Pro-2000 Varminter in .308 Win. caliber for two years. The rifle has 4970 rounds through it so far. Accuracy has been very good, many loads have exceeded the 0.5" standard with five shots rather than the three-shot groups that the factory uses.

I have had two problems with the action, both occured relatively early in the use of the rifle.
First, a burr formed inside the trigger housing causing the trigger to quit working - the burr had to be stoned away by a gunsmith and it has not re-occured despite a lot of shooting. This is not a problem with current production as the trigger unit has been changed to prevent the occurence.
Second, there was a problem with minute brass shavings from the rim of the cartridge case jamming the movement of the ejector plunger. Result was that the brass would not eject, just sat in the action. This was fixed by putting a slight bevel on the plunger. Originally it was too square on the end. Was somewhat easy to get tiny shavings wedged between it and the hole in the face of the bolt that it operated in. Understand that this is also changed on the current production.
The first problem was serious and resulted in the loss of trigger function and HS admitted that they needed to correct that design, and did. The second was easy to correct by pushing the plunger a few times so that the shavings fell clear and the bevel seems to have stopped the jamming.
Some other observations:
..I find the magazines somewhat difficult to load since they are single-stackers, but they are reliable and stay in place, feed reliably.
..The rifle's bedding has never been touched - it was very well done at the factory as sub one-half minute accuracy has been consistent if I can hold the rifle well enough.
..The barrel is easy to maintain, does not hold any copper.
..The finish is great, moisture is not a concern since virtually the entire rifle is teflon coated.
..The safety works great and I understand that it has been "improved" although I have never had any problems with function.
..My particular rifle shoots well with a wide variety of loads, factory and handloads - it seems to shoot particularly well with moly coated bullets - likes Black Hills Ammo 175 gr. Molies.
..Just under 5000 rounds and the barrel is still shooting well, have not looked at it with a bore scope but it seems to be fine.
..Everyone who sees or shoots the rifle likes it.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:54 AM

I haven't tried any of their rifles, but have tried their stocks.

HS Precision is an awful company with the worst customer service!!!!
I had some dealings with them that went a wry in the past, I posted about them.

They gave me and a friend the exact same run around about delivery dates with the same cock and bull story about calling back on numerous occasions (I think it was a lady named Janet).

The Prairie Grass camo looks nothing like it does in the catalog, gaudy and classless at best.

I would bring my business elsewhere to where it is appreciated. There are quite a few other stock companies out there.

Worst part of the whole thing was the stock turned a tack driving Sako into 1.5 minute gun.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Bill ]
Old 02-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

My experience with their stocks is similar to Bill's. The only stock I've ever bought from them made a good gun shoot quite a bit worse. I didn't deal with them about it, however. I simply sold the whole rig to a friend of mine who only hunts every two or three years and doesn't require the same level of accuracy as I do.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

In my experience simply buying a composite stock will not ensure better accuracy. We might expect spending 2 or 3 hundred bucks would make old Bestsy shoot better - it don't work that way.

All new composite stocks should be bedded properly. Pillars, Marine Tex, no contact of any stock bolts or the bolt handle with the stock - that stuff is what makes a rifle shoot, not just switching from wood to composite.

Real good bedding, as done by GA Precision and others, involves a lot of skill and experience. There are too many tolerances and variables involved to expect perfect fit when you drop a barreled action into a new McMillan, HS, Hogue or whatever.

For every rifle that shoots worse there might be one that shoots better - I doubt it, tho.
There is no way that the CNC'd almuminum bedding inserts in HS stocks will fit every Remington M-700 action. Rem actions aren't straight so how could they fit uniformly into the HS stock? I was told by folks at H.S. that the U.S. Army beds over the aluminum blocks in H.S. stocks - simply because the cylindrical 700 actions were so irregular.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:47 AM

Just wanted to dump two more cents.

I recently bought an H-S stock for a Model 700. It bolted in effortlessly. Fit perfectly. No problems. It feels much nicer than the factory synthetic stock.

I had it bedded by a gunsmith later. My understanding is that any time you have a M700 with an HS stock, you should have it bedded because the cylindrical action is not held securely against the flat bedding block...the action can "roll" in the stock so that the trigger and action bind against the stock. If you want improved accuracy from the HS stock, have it carefully bedded and the screws tightened properly.

The stock and bedding job helped cut average group sizes from about 1.5" to about 1", with some groups approaching 1/2". Before installing and bedding the stock, this rifle never shot particularly well.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:39 PM

I have a H+S Precision HTR-308- I,m very happy with it,very well built and deadly accurate.

*Customer service with H+S has been OUTSTANDING-always very helpful and friendly

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: bones ]