Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

How to use coppermelt in my .308???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Bronze Member

How to use coppermelt in my .308???

Hi everyone,

in the middle of the Coppermelt-Hype I actually managed to get hold of two bottles - anyone remember?
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post66650

Anyway, after many cleaning sessions with various products I really need to give it a go with my trusted .308 Roedale. But I just dont remember exactly the specific way how to use it...

No copper brushes?
Under-caliber brushes?
Special coated cleaning rod?
Highly absorbing patches?
Do I need a bore guide?
How do you clean your chambers with that stuff?

Sorry for the load of questions but I would really appreciate some input on this - itīs about time I tried this miracle cure myself! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,

elwood.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Re: How to use coppermelt in my .308???

Use a steel core nylon brush undersized IE: .224 in a.243 bore.Wrap a patch around brush and use a few drops on same about 25 passes thru the bore will show black and blue traces on patch.Use a good bore guide!!repeat several times untill the patch comes out clean,no blue.I use a plastic pipet to apply so as not contaminate to good stuff in the bottle.If your gun has been shot a lot it might take a while to get it done right.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

I find it works well to clean with a powder solvent first, something like Butch's or Hoppe's #9. Then I actually like to run a couple of Copper Melt or Sweet's wet patches through and let it soak for 5-10 min. After a round or two of that if it's still showing some blue streaks I'll go to the John Barnes method.
I take an oversized nylon brush, place a couple of patches over the top and use it to seal up my chamber. After the chamber is sealed I drip a bunch of Copper Melt or Sweets through the muzzle and down the barrel. I then let it stand in the corner for 10-15 min. I found this methods really removes some of the tough copper that's lodged in the sharp area between the lands and the groves. I'm pretty sold on this method.
As a side note: I tend to only clean using this method if I'm planning on switching bullets (ie. Nosler to Barnes). Or, I use this method after about 200-250 rounds fired. My normal cleaning, about every 30 rounds, is done simply with wet patches of Butch's. The small amount of "seasoning" left after a quick cleaning with Butch's requires no "fouling" shots... 1st one cold & clean is right in the middle of the group. Usually after I strip a barrel clean it take 4-6 shots to get it rolling again.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Use a steel core nylon brush undersized IE: .224 in a.243 bore.Wrap a patch around brush and use a few drops on same about 25 passes thru the bore will show black and blue traces on patch.Use a good bore guide!!repeat several times untill the patch comes out clean,no blue.I use a plastic pipet to apply so as not contaminate to good stuff in the bottle.If your gun has been shot a lot it might take a while to get it done right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but at the moment I am not sure if a bore guide is the thing you use to protect the muzzle from damage or the thing you stuff into the receiver???

Either way, can you recommend one?

Cheers,

elwood.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Bore Guide = the thing you stuff in the receiver.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm Lucas bore guides
Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

No hype buddy. If you don't like it, send her my way. It is fought over like halloween candy in a 3rd world country around here! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] All we had to do was show a few guys how it works and it got bought up faster than the mint could print money.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Bronze Member

No worries mate, I have no intention of giving my Coppermelt away - took me ages to get some of that stuff over here! Actually I am thinking of import the stuff big time... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But in order to convince customers I really need to see how it works.

So since you are probably the most experienced coppermelt user, can you give me some details on the cleaning equipment you use???

Cheers,

elwood.