Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

hornady Interbond VS. Barnes X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: hornady Interbond VS. Barnes X

right now my digital is at my parents house, forgot it at christmas, but I will post some picks when I get it again at easter. Most of the barnes bullets had a lopsided mushroom look to what was left of them and all but one of the hornady's had a very symmetrical mushroom. The lishtest weight I listed for one of the barnes bullets is incorrect. When I inspected the bases a little closer I noticed that it was missing the boat tail pattern. It is probably one of the winchester factory loads that I had shot up for the brass earlier this winter. one very minute piece of lead left in the base from the Win. spire point
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

I would have to say that Barnes is drilling them HP's way deeper in order for them to loose that much weight, after all, the majority of the bullet is a solid slug of copper.

Most of mine were recovered from sand that were shot at less than 30 feet. I don't think a single one lost more than 10% of it's original weight, and looked like perfect mushrooms, some minus a petal or two maybe but that is it. The further out I shot them the less they mushroomed, they certainly didn't begin exploding more. This seems VERY odd, and I'd be contacting Barnes about it, big time.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

sasquatch

Two years ago I shot a blackbuck antelope at just over 100 yds. I was hunting with a .338 x .378 wby that I built, and was shooting 225 gr Barnes X factory ammo that runs 3200 fps instrumental at 7 yds from the muzzle. The bullet traversed from front rt shoulder thru chest and exited behind left shoulder. Entrance wound and exit wound were both about bullet size. He ran about 50 more yards and left no blood trail at all. When we dressed him,the near shoulder was shredded, and several ragged holes were blown out of the near side ribcage. I believe that all the petals sheared off inside the shoulder and blew the holes in the ribcage, but I couldn't find any pieces in the mess to prove it. I never called Barnes, but this is unsatisfactory performance, and I won't hunt with that load anymore.
Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

I can\'t believe I said that

Somehow I typed:
[ QUOTE ]
I have recovered MANY of them and have noticed a significant reduction in bullet mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was that I HAVEN"T noticed a significant reduction in bullet mass. I gotta stay away from that wine bottle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

VH
Old 03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

In regard to what Speck said about the petals shearing off and causing multiple exit holes, I can remember Barnes harping on this as an asset when the bullet first appeared as it was deadly. Remington has a shotgun slug that does the same. I'm not so sure its such a bad thing to have three or four petals taking their own paths through vitals while main body of bullet with about 75% mass drills a hole through any and all it encounters. But I could be totally wrong. I can't see needing them for less than bear or elk. For deer, they would seem to not be good for dumping foot pounds onto target or leaving good blood trail. I would think the Interbond a more well rounded bullet.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

I guess if I was goimg to hunt sand to shoot for the table I will use the Barnes again. But for meat hunting I think the Interbonds are a better choise! But then again I haven't hunted any fruit or veggies with either so have no opinion as reguards to preformance in this tuffer medium. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

I'm really enjoying all the feedback from my post. I think that the remarks about the petals shearing off are probably correct. The only reason I prefer the bulet to stay intact as much as possible, yet still mushroom out is so I don't destroy meat with the shrapnell.(sp)
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"