Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Holland Recoil Lug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Holland Recoil Lug

I had a Holland recoil lug installed on a REM 700 action and now the action will not fit in the factory HS Precision Sendero stock or a HS Precision PST26.

Is it common to have to releive the inside of a HS Precision stock in the recoil lug area so that replacement recoil lugs will fit? (I'd rather not cut into the aluminum bedding block ...)

I'm having a hard time believing the Holland recoil lug will not fit in factory Remington HS Precision stocks.

Doug
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Holland Recoil Lug

The Holland recoil lug is slightly thicker (.250" or something like that) and it is tapered.

When putting it back in the stock, you will have to remove a little material forward towards the barrel channel. The aluminum is a bit of work to remove but you should be able to handle it ok with a Dremmel tool or something similiar.

good luck.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

GG was correct but as an added note no material should be removed on the left or right sides of lug nor on the back side "just" a tad off the front.

Ben
Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

A little correction- he might have to remove a little from the sides. You do not want the stock applying pressure to one side or the other. This applys a small amount of stress to the joint and will cause flyers and other problems.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would agree with Chris but I also recommend skim bedding the H-S stocks as well. This is the recoil lug I use for 75% of my custom rifles, Bad Ord the other 25%. Dispite HS saying their stocks do not need bedding to shoot well that may well be,

BUT, every one I have tested shot better after bedding.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the advice. I have cleaned up the stock ahead of the recoil lug enough to compensate for the additional thickness of the lug. This isn't going to do it.

Is it safe to grind on the lug while it is installed on the action? Am I going to need to take this back to the smith and have him remove the lug so that it may be ground to fit?

I think in course measurements it's 0.06 too wide on each side ...

0.12 or so wider than factory.

Doug
Old 10-25-2005, 06:54 PM

I have a 300 RUM with a Holland lug in a PSS stock and had to grind a small amount of the aluminum away for the sides of the lug to fit along with opening up the front of the lug recess. I don't feel I weakened the stock any and it shoots .5 moa consistently.
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO