Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions


Reply

Holland Recoil Lug

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
dwm dwm is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 622
Holland Recoil Lug

I had a Holland recoil lug installed on a REM 700 action and now the action will not fit in the factory HS Precision Sendero stock or a HS Precision PST26.

Is it common to have to releive the inside of a HS Precision stock in the recoil lug area so that replacement recoil lugs will fit? (I'd rather not cut into the aluminum bedding block ...)

I'm having a hard time believing the Holland recoil lug will not fit in factory Remington HS Precision stocks.

Doug
__________________
doug
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: on the rifle range in Utah
Posts: 2,720
Re: Holland Recoil Lug

The Holland recoil lug is slightly thicker (.250" or something like that) and it is tapered.

When putting it back in the stock, you will have to remove a little material forward towards the barrel channel. The aluminum is a bit of work to remove but you should be able to handle it ok with a Dremmel tool or something similiar.

good luck.
__________________
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BINGHAMTON, NY
Posts: 166
Re: Holland Recoil Lug

GG was correct but as an added note no material should be removed on the left or right sides of lug nor on the back side "just" a tad off the front.

Ben
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Urich, MO
Posts: 838
Re: Holland Recoil Lug

A little correction- he might have to remove a little from the sides. You do not want the stock applying pressure to one side or the other. This applys a small amount of stress to the joint and will cause flyers and other problems.
__________________
Chris Matthews
www.longshotriflesllc.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
Posts: 6,831
Re: Holland Recoil Lug

I would agree with Chris but I also recommend skim bedding the H-S stocks as well. This is the recoil lug I use for 75% of my custom rifles, Bad Ord the other 25%. Dispite HS saying their stocks do not need bedding to shoot well that may well be,

BUT, every one I have tested shot better after bedding.

Kirby Allen(50)
__________________
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM
dwm dwm is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 622
Re: Holland Recoil Lug

Thanks for all the advice. I have cleaned up the stock ahead of the recoil lug enough to compensate for the additional thickness of the lug. This isn't going to do it.

Is it safe to grind on the lug while it is installed on the action? Am I going to need to take this back to the smith and have him remove the lug so that it may be ground to fit?

I think in course measurements it's 0.06 too wide on each side ...

0.12 or so wider than factory.

Doug
__________________
doug
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2005, 06:54 PM
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Holland Recoil Lug

I have a 300 RUM with a Holland lug in a PSS stock and had to grind a small amount of the aluminum away for the sides of the lug to fit along with opening up the front of the lug recess. I don't feel I weakened the stock any and it shoots .5 moa consistently.
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Holland Recoil Lug
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300 Holland & Holland ...anybody played with this one ? Caracal Long Range Hunting & Shooting 27 12-03-2013 11:41 PM
Holland vs APS alloutsmith3 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 12-03-2010 10:28 PM
Holland ART dpr Optics For Sale 1 03-03-2009 09:54 PM
Holland recoil lug? Ankeny Gunsmithing 5 05-25-2007 02:12 PM
Holland HD Recoil Lug Doesn't Fit In Sendero Stock dwm Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 09-01-2003 07:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC