Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Holland QD Muzzle Brake - 2 Shot Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2005, 08:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Holland QD Muzzle Brake - 2 Shot Review

Roy,

This is a simple job to get the vertical ports where they need to be.

I have done a little experimenting with this as well. What I did was I had a customer that had me build him a 375 RUM and he gave me the specs for the muzzle threads he wanted machined onto the muzzle as he was going to use a brake he was getting from a friend for the rifle which was a Vias style brake.

Well, I always bench test my rifles and as the threads were the same 3/4x28 tpi as the holland 3/4" brake I screwed one on for range testing the rifle. As this brake was an instock brake and would be fitted to another customers rifle down the road sometime I did not index the brake at all. I would say the brake was positioned so the top port holes were at a 10:00 position, no where near indexed properly.

Basically I just wanted to avoid getting the hell kicked out of me as my customer wanted me to develop a full tilt load using a 300 gr bullet.

The only thing I noticed on the range with the rifle having the brake out of index was that the rifle did jump slightly to the right as the vertical ports were on the left side of TDC.

Not dramatic but it was noticable. Accuracy averged .488" ctc for three, three shot groups with a 300 gr Nosler loaded to 2880 fps.

Again, while this may have an effect on rifle movement we need to realize that once the rifle is effected by the muzzle brake, the bullet is down range. Again if the bore hole is true to axis this is not a problem as far as accuracy goes.

Looks like HELL but I have not found it to effect accuracy at all.

That said, again, it is an easy process to index one of these brakes perfectly so do not be concerned about that.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

I will walk through the steps I use to fit a Holland brake.

1. Determine the diameter of the barrel where the brake shoulder will bare.

2. Take this diameter and with a set of calipers transpose a line at this diameter on the tapered shank of the brake. Then take a rough measurement from this transposed line to the location where the muzzle will be at the beginning of the first port. (This is a very rough measurement, we just want to get an idea here of how long the threaded portion of the muzzle will need to be)

3. I generally add 0.050" to this rough measurement to make sure I have more threaded length then I need. Will explain this more later.

4. Cut the barrel muzzle to dimension and thread it to fit with a high quality class 3 thread fit. On a side note I have seen many brakes that are fitted with a class 2 thread fit work loose when fired. With a quality class three fit you can put a break on by hand just until the brake and barrel shoulders bare and it will now unscrew when fired. Thread fit is very important in my opinion for keeping a brake where it should be, tight on the muzzle!

5. Once the muzzle is threaded and has a proper fit with the brake, It is now time to cut the tapered section of the brake back until its diameter matches up with that of the barrel diameter. This takes a bit of time to do but if you are careful you can generally get the brake to index perfectly as it comes into matching diameter with the barrel diameter.

6. Sometimes however this does not happen. Just simply will not meet up correctly so you cut the brake back until its diameter matches or is very slightly larger then that of the barrel.

7. Then the barrel is placed back in the lathe and the barrel shoulder is set back very slightly until the brake indexes perfectly vertical. IF we simply set the brake back more, the steep taper on the brake would result in a poor matching fit. Since the barrel is tapered to a dramatically smaller degree the increase in barrel diameter is generally not enough to be concerned about.

8. Once the brake is fitted and indexed properly so that the diameter of the brake and barrel match up properly you would notice that the muzzle extends into the first port of the brake to far. This is by design.

9. The muzzle is now crowned with the proper live piloted 11 degree crown cutter until muzzle is set back to perfectly match the beginning of the first port on the brake.

There is certainly more time involved in fitting a Holland brake or any other brake that needs to be indexed but it is not dramatically more. They are more difficult then just threading a barrel and screwing on a vias type brake.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

This is what we are after, a properly indexed brake with proper fit.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Hey,

I got SEVERAL hours of sleep last night [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Bronze Member

instead of cutting your brake you can set your compound up to cut that angle. so index brake then cut the angle down to match barrel.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Bronze Member

Kregg, does your super brake blow up dust when fired from the prone position?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Bronze Member

all brakes that have holes on the bottem would kick up some dust if the ground you are shooting on is like powder. as far as drit thats hard it will work just fine. even the brakes that vent from the sides if you are on real powder dirt they are going to kick up dust.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Kregg,

Yes you are correct in that you can do this and in fact with the latest 5/8" Hollands they are left full diameter with no tapered section so this is very easy to index and then just taper the brake to the barrel.

Still with the tapered brakes, It is just as fast to cut the brake back as to mess with my compound rest and then have to set it back up for threading again.

I have used your method and found that I prefer mine, different ways to skin the same cat [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com