Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Holland QD Muzzle Brake - 2 Shot Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Holland QD Muzzle Brake - 2 Shot Review

A Holland QD installed on my clunker 338 Win. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This old geezer just couldn't take anyone's word for it, had to experience it myself.

As Napoleon Dynamite would say "SWEET!"

Only comparison is that it kicks less than a 11.5 pound 279 Win w/120gr bullets @ 3200 fps.

From off hand position muzzle jump is maybe 2 inches.

Will check the accuracy shortly, tomorrow evening [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Holland QD Muzzle Brake - 2 Shot Review

Glad to hear it , how bad is the muzzel blast ow as opposed to without the brake ?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

I have heard that the Holland Brake is excellent at reducing kick but is pretty loud.
http://www.hollandguns.com/mbrakes.shtml

http://www.opsinc.us/brake.php

http://www.jprifles.com/

I have also heard that the OPS break is supposed to be every bit as effective as the Holland but quiter to the shooter due to the angles machined into the openings which are supposed to reflect the sound out to the sides rather than backwards toward the shooter.

This would be pretty important to me, ear muffs or not.

The Holland does look more pleasing to my eye. The 3rd brake that I hear is very effective but also loud is the JP Bennie Cooley brake.

Has anybody tested/compared these brakes and can say with any certainty that one is quiter than the other?

Still undecided whether or not to put one on my .300Wby Ultra light.
I had the KDF style on my older Mark V .300 weatherby and although it reduced kick, it was freakin so loud that I swore I would never get one again. If you shoot off the side of a steep mountain, all that noise bounces right back into your ear and can give you a splitting headache for several hours.

Regards, Vic
Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think i'll ever fire another gun without hearing protection again unless the trophy of a lifetime jumps out in front of me. I hunted with too many old timers that couldn't hear anymore-- and that got me to thinking long and hard on it.

I have the HQD on my APS 7-270 WSM XP-100 16" barrel, and it tames it enuf that 2 kids used it this yr. to shoot long-range silhouettes, with no flinching that i could see. I've also used it with Wildcat 200 grainers with not the slightest recoil problem at all.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to hear it , how bad is the muzzel blast ow as opposed to without the brake ?

[/ QUOTE ] Huh, what'd ya say? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The key part of your post is "Glad to hear it," I want to be able to say that for a long time.

The answer is I don't know how loud it was. I've never shot the rifle with out ear protection (audio muffs). Also I don't intend to. I'm one of the "old" hunters mentioned above. Hearing loss in my right ear is not due to shooting but loud radio in a noisey van for several years. I've already lost enough and the right ear is dropping off on the high freqs due to age. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

By standers who also had ear protection said it was loud(er).

The real reason for the brake was to be able to shoot prone with that particular rifle. The brake makes that more than possible. If I have time to get prone, I have time to don ear protection.

This rifle will be used for LRH (if you can call 800 yds LR) thus setup will be permanent for the day thus ear protection will be worn when shooting it.

The bottom line is that my first impression was very, very good. Second impression will this evening or tomorrow when I shoot prone off of that blow sand. If I get a face full of the stuff I'm gonna be grumpy.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

everything about this brake looks good except i've read where,according to their tests, any brake that doesn't have holes in an even pattern the whole way around won't be quite as accurate as one with an even pattern.i realize there are awesome groups shot with this brake,but could they be better with an "even holer"? anybody?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Bronze Member

heres a brake that i make and install for $110.00 its a super brake and they are not as loud and work very well. they are used on benchrest rifle and hunting rifles. web page