Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Hightech Stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 AM

Hightech Stocks

Every once in a while I see someone say that Hightech Specialties stocks have problems but they never list those problems. What are these problems? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: Hightech Stocks

I built a 260 Rem on a 600 action a few years ago and I wanted it to be real light. I got a High Tech stock from Brownells' and pillar bedded it. The rifle ended up weighing 6.5 lbs. with the Leupold 3x9 scope. About 2 weeks after I finished the rifle I took it out of the safe to go to the range and noticed that the barrel was making contact with the stock at the tip of the forearm along the left side. This was a surprise as it was not this way when I originally bedded it. I re-bedded the rifle (milling out all of the bedding material and starting over). After this everything looked great. Two weeks later the stock was touching the barrel again in the same spot. Got rid of that stock and went to a Mod 7 from McMillan and have never been happier. The High Tech was plenty light but not stable enough for me.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

I have built several rifles on them. the only problem I have ever had was with the paint sticking to the gel coat , you have to sand it a little bit to get the paint to stick.

I don't see how anybody can have problems with the the stock moving , its laid up fiberglass over some pretty dense foam. The action area is solid glass, I pillar and glass bed all my rifles.

For the money I don't think that anybody can come close to touching them.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 AM

I have built a few rifles with the Hightech stock and have had no problems, and it rains here alot and is hot in the summer. Just wanted to know if there were some gremlins waiting to jump out. Anyone else?

I like them because you don't ADD to much weight to get them right. Some other lightweight stocks need alot of work and by the time they are stiff enough they weigh much more than they started out.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

I generaly add some weight to my stock also , I like to build up the grip with a bit of palmswell and little more vertical grip for my hand they seem way to skinny for my paws but after all the smaping and molding they still come in under what most other stocks would and a hell of alot cheaper
Old 04-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

I have used the high tech's for several years now, since meeting Mark Bansner, who now owns the company. I have never had a problem with any of them, and have used well over a dozen. They are the only way to go if you are looking for lightweight. Recently built a .243 on a lightened rem 700 action, #3 shilen barrel, with scope, 5 1/4 lbs.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Care to share any pics of finished rifles with that stock?

Would I want to use one on a RUM cartridge w/Muzzle Brake?

Is it difficult to add the palm swell, etc?

I like the idea of classic/no cheekpiece but have never seen a Hightech stock [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]