Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Here's a review of my crappy Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Here\'s a review of my crappy Remington

Ok, I picked up a factory stick VSF in 308win earlier in the year and was unaware of how crappy these Remingtons really are.
Decided to try a modified break-in procedure and so far have shot 84 rounds. 60 of those have been with the Wildcat 169.5gr ULD RBBT HP. They're shooting nice. Real nice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Accuracy loads are 45grs of VARGET with a WLR primer and 44.5grs of VARGET with a 210M primer. The bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet. Both loads run about 2700fps. Also tried 175gr SMK's over 44grs of VARGET and 210M primers early in the break-in process. They shot well but not quite 1/2 moa. I'll try them again later. I had some 3 shot 2 hole groups and then got nervous on the 4th and 5th shots and ruined my groups so I know the gun can shoot better than me. Fouling has dropped off considerably since the beginning.
The new palm swell and stock overall are a great upgrade over the standard VS stock on my 22-250.
Remington's new stock color is great and has some cool factor. The bolt handle hasn't fallen off yet. Utilitarian-wise, it'll blend well into the farmlands where I hunt for predators, etc.
The front sling and bipod stud are a wee bit close together. The sling fits into the rear stud but you have to almost remove the bipod to get the swivel off.
The barrel fluting is sharp looking but am unsure just how useful it really is. You can slip a dollar bill all the way down the barrel. On my VLS it got stuck partway down. The throat is cut short and I load from the magazine so that may or may not be a hindrance. Probably not.
A front-focal plane 4.5-14LR Leupold w/tactical milling reticle would go nice on it but I'll have to settle for the "older" model for now.
For a factory gun this is worth the money I spent on it. Where was this rifle a few years ago when I was buying my VS... When I re-barrel the VS 22-250, I may look for a similiar stock to mount it in.
Here's a photo that I got a little carried away with in photoshop.
Btw, to get this shot I had to remove the sling, photo the rifle perched on a chair, then photo the sling by itself. After that you extract the rifle and sling seperately from their backgrounds in Pshop. Then add the sling back onto the rifle. Walla
And after all that the bolt handle still hasn't fallen off... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Here\'s a review of my crappy Remington

Nice stick, Skinny.
I really like that stock!! Badger rings and rail too??

Thanks for sharing..sakofan...
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Mr. Mojo!! I like that!!...sakofan...LMAO
Old 04-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

You're right! It seems pretty crappy, I'll take it off your hands [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I like the stock color and the rail. It does look a little short between swivel posts but I guess you will deal with it.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

im not much for synthetic stocks, but the combo looks pretty sharp...pretty sharp indeed
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Yo Skinny,

There ain't no good reason for such poor groups, ya know those number 4 & 5 shots. That's what PS CS is for. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

If you wouldn't have mentioned the sling thing, no one would have even suspected. And the <Enter> key didn't fall off! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

Hi Skinny
Does "crappy" have some kind of different meaning in the US then it does here in the UK ie, [censored], [censored] and [censored], cos thats a mean looking set up you have there, or are you pulling my leg. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ian.

PS. Are the flutes radiused or flat bottomed?