Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Help with my chronograph please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Help with my chronograph please?

Hi Guys, I have a Pact chronograph that I bought new about 7 years ago, I have had no problems with it except when shooting with a break on a rifle, when shooting one, I get mis reads, error, and so on, I know it has something to do with the ports or release of gases but I am wondering if anyone has similar problems and if there are any fixes? Thank you, Ron Tilley
Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help with my chronograph please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillroot1 View Post
Hi Guys, I have a Pact chronograph that I bought new about 7 years ago, I have had no problems with it except when shooting with a break on a rifle, when shooting one, I get mis reads, error, and so on, I know it has something to do with the ports or release of gases but I am wondering if anyone has similar problems and if there are any fixes? Thank you, Ron Tilley
have you tried moving it out to about 15' from the muzzel? I saw another chronograph once give all sorts of wierd reading from a .300 Weatherby, and the guy actually fixed it at the range with a piece of card board and a pocket knife. He set the card board up to block a lot of the blast (rather crude looking but worked. Also if your prone shooting, could you be kicking up a lot of dust?
gary
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

I set up my Pact chrono's 10 feet from the muzzle. I tape the front top screen to help keep them from blowing off. No problems with muzzle brakes making error. Keep your batteries fresh.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunaddict View Post
I set up my Pact chrono's 10 feet from the muzzle. I tape the front top screen to help keep them from blowing off. No problems with muzzle brakes making error. Keep your batteries fresh.
Mine only works when it wants to. Today drove 45 minutes to the range for ladder testing and looking for the point of diminished return on speed vs powder. Partly cloudy day. All errors with it set 15ft out. Grrrrrrrr

Looking for a DIY light kit
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillroot1 View Post
If you are willing to throw some money at the problem I would suggest looking into a MagnetoSpeed. I used a different unit for a long time and liked it greatly. The Magentospeed will eliminate your present issue. I hate to offer that option but it seems like cash usually fixes lots of them in this business. Fastens to my barrel enhancement with great ease and is well thought out and well programmed. I have had it out once and was very pleased and satisfied with the results.