Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Help, light sling for hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Help, light sling for hunting rifle

All- Looking for some good light weight sling suggestions for a hunting rig. Something I can "Sling Up" but actually works to carry with even with a pack on. Suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Re: Help, light sling for hunting rifle

Take a look at the various Quake slings. They're typically about $25 at Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. I've used them for a while now. My dad always used a leather military type sling in the past and hated the way the Quake looked. I bought him one and took it on a moose hunt last month. After the first day out, he kept complaining about his gun sliding off his shoulder all the time. I pulled the sling out of my pack and hooked it on his rifle. After the second day, he said the sling worked great, but he would rather have a different color.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Dad and I bought the Ultraflex sling from this company several years ago at a local sport show:

www.sloganoutdoors.com

We absolutely love them. You can sling your rifle on your shoulder and both of your hands will be free, as the rifle actually stays right there and doesn't fall off. This was invaluable when climbing down a snowy mountain in the dark during our elk hunts. Dad also used his last week on an antelope hunt, and it worked very well to hold the rifle onto his back while crawling through the brush.

Watch his video:
http://www.bigbearhunt.com/SloganOut...baltraflex.wmv

I need to buy a second one now so my son can use one.
And no, I have no relationship with the company. I just really like the slings!

Last edited by Dr. Vette; 10-27-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Thanks wondered if I would ever get replies to this! This looks promising how is the weight. I know I have looked at rubber slings and they tend to be way heavy???
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
Thanks wondered if I would ever get replies to this! This looks promising how is the weight. I know I have looked at rubber slings and they tend to be way heavy???
Not the Ultraflex I referenced above.
Very light. In fact, because of the way it holds the rifle to you, you will actually have the rifle dig into your upper shoulder less and your whole system will "feel" lighter.

I've never weighed my Ultraflex sling vs one of my leather or nylon ones. I suspect nylon may be lighter, but for a couple of ounces I don't care. I have not used any other sling in the past several years; all the rest of mine are in a box in my storage cabinet.

FYI, for elk I wear a daypack-sized backpack which also has a chest strap (goes across the chest to keep arm straps correctly positioned). The sling gets placed just inboard of the shoulder strap and the rifle does not move. See pack and rifle in the photo below. I'm holding on out of habit, but I often drop my arms and let the rifle ride. Also nice when I have to reach out and hold onto a tree on the hillside. Looking at the pic I probably have the sling a bit "looser" than in the company's video but it works fine for me.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Ordered the Slogan, will let you know how it performs in the feild and thanks for the assitance!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM

The slogan mentioned here has caught my eye. Have you tried it ? Anyone else care to comment on it?