Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Help choosing a range finder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Help choosing a range finder

I have never owned a rangefinder, but I feel like it would be a good piece of equipment to have for taking the long shots until I can judge them myself. I currently have the available space to take shots out to 600 yards on a friends property. While doing some research I found a Bushnell Pro 1600 on sale. I cant imagine I will ever need the 1600 yard ranging, but at least its there if I need it.

My biggest issues that concerns me is that it is factory refurbished. it's currently on sale for $229. A new unit goes for roughly $100-150 more. I'm not 100% sure what all I should be looking for, and if this is worth it.

Can anyone hand out some pointers that they use when purchasing and using a range finder?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help choosing a range finder

I don't have experience with the RF you mention, but I originally bought a budget one and was very disappointed. I have a Leica CRF 1200 and am very happy with it. It gives me fast and reliable readings out to about 800-900 yds in almost all conditions. It will reach out much farther on large targets if conditions are good.

From what I've read, one of the important criteria is how much the laser spreads out as you range farther and farther. That makes it more likely that you are ranging something other than your target.

At a max of 600yds I think you will have more leeway than the guys reaching waaaaay out (not me), but my personal experience would be to get a quality brand and read a ton of reviews before buying.

Good luck
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

I just bit the bullet and bought a Lecia 1600B. I have had a couple mediocre range finders and it was just a waste of money. Like all ready stated beam divergence is critical. The lesser quality range finders fail to perform with the wide beams. In pore conditions most range finders won't range 50% of their advertised distances and struggle when its perfect. Buy a good one and keep it forever. A G7 BR2 is 2 times the Lecia but will do twice as much! My pockets arn't quite deep enough for the G7.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Totally agree with kcebcj. Don't waste your $$$ on medicore range finders. Been there done that. The Leica's will give you much more reliable results than the Bushnell. In good conditons the Leica 1600 will give you 1600 yds and more, in not so good condition it will usually give you 600 yds. The Bushnell will not and the the difference in beam width is important in getting reliable accurate info.

On judging distances for yourself, good luck with that. I've been practicing it or years and owning a good range finder shows me my own estimations of longer ranges are not at all reliable.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Laser RangeFinders within AccurateShooter.com

I'm looking for a differant rangefinder and found this review on some of the top brands. Leica or Swarovski seam to do what we want them to do. Chek it out.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Thank you for the information. Could someone enlighten me on what "good conditions" is considered? What kind of weather would affect a RF? Is there anyway to know how much area of spread a RF will have at longer distances? Does it change under conditions as well?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

+1 for any of the Leica rangefinders! Best money spent in my opinion. At least in there price range.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html