Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

help on chooosing a chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member

help on chooosing a chronograph

I'm looking in to getting a chrono and was hoping to get some input on what is the one to get. I am not familiar with any companys that make them so I'm in the dark on what one to get. Would like to hear what everyone is using and get your thoughts what one to go with open to any suggestions.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

The best thing would be to walk down the street and find an Oehler 35p at a garage sale for a good price. Since that is extremely unlikely, pick up a CED M2 and never look back. I use the Infra-red screens, but I have a friend that has great luck with the standard screens.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
The best thing would be to walk down the street and find an Oehler 35p at a garage sale for a good price. Since that is extremely unlikely, pick up a CED M2 and never look back. I use the Infra-red screens, but I have a friend that has great luck with the standard screens.

AJ

+1

Unless a 35p falls in your lap the CED M2 is the best choice. I have owned a couple of different Chronos and used others. The 35p is the best, but not by much over the M2.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Looks like its the CED M2. Thanks for the info, is there anything else I should look into getting to get the most out of my handloads.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

Sorry guys, I disagree on the CED M2. I used 2 of them in a coffin, a primary and a check chrono. The check chrono died a complete death, and not from being shot, and the primary started to lie about the velocities, so much so, you couldn't believe it.:mad:

I* have a PACT Professional that I'm happy with, except for the fact that I kept shooting the skyscreen housing, uprights and took out both IR circuit boards.:mad: It cost me about $200 this year in replacements - that included shipping to Canada.

I do agree about the Oehler 35 but if you can swing it, get the 35P (printer). FWIW Oehler will still repair the 35's.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
Sorry guys, I disagree on the CED M2. I used 2 of them in a coffin, a primary and a check chrono. The check chrono died a complete death, and not from being shot, and the primary started to lie about the velocities, so much so, you couldn't believe it.:mad:

I* have a PACT Professional that I'm happy with, except for the fact that I kept shooting the skyscreen housing, uprights and took out both IR circuit boards.:mad: It cost me about $200 this year in replacements - that included shipping to Canada.

I do agree about the Oehler 35 but if you can swing it, get the 35P (printer). FWIW Oehler will still repair the 35's.
Wow, you honestly are the first person I have heard with a problem M2. I see an awful lot of them performing well at USPSA matches and mine has been great. I bet CED would make it right if it was a defective product. They are pretty supportive of the shooting sports and I like their products and representatives.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
Wow, you honestly are the first person I have heard with a problem M2. I see an awful lot of them performing well at USPSA matches and mine has been great. I bet CED would make it right if it was a defective product. They are pretty supportive of the shooting sports and I like their products and representatives.
I know others that got them and in less than a year, they sold them and bought others.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.