close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Reply

help on chooosing a chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 65
help on chooosing a chronograph

I'm looking in to getting a chrono and was hoping to get some input on what is the one to get. I am not familiar with any companys that make them so I'm in the dark on what one to get. Would like to hear what everyone is using and get your thoughts what one to go with open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 2,232
    Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

    The best thing would be to walk down the street and find an Oehler 35p at a garage sale for a good price. Since that is extremely unlikely, pick up a CED M2 and never look back. I use the Infra-red screens, but I have a friend that has great luck with the standard screens.

    AJ
    __________________
    If some is good and more is better, then too much is just right.


    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Chatham, VA
    Posts: 436
    Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
    The best thing would be to walk down the street and find an Oehler 35p at a garage sale for a good price. Since that is extremely unlikely, pick up a CED M2 and never look back. I use the Infra-red screens, but I have a friend that has great luck with the standard screens.

    AJ

    +1

    Unless a 35p falls in your lap the CED M2 is the best choice. I have owned a couple of different Chronos and used others. The 35p is the best, but not by much over the M2.
    __________________
    "My greatest fear is that after my demise my wife will sell my guns for the price I told her I paid for them"
    -don't know where it came from...but true
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: Superior, WI
    Posts: 65
    Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

    Looks like its the CED M2. Thanks for the info, is there anything else I should look into getting to get the most out of my handloads.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 11-23-2008, 09:55 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 182
    Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

    Sorry guys, I disagree on the CED M2. I used 2 of them in a coffin, a primary and a check chrono. The check chrono died a complete death, and not from being shot, and the primary started to lie about the velocities, so much so, you couldn't believe it.:mad:

    I* have a PACT Professional that I'm happy with, except for the fact that I kept shooting the skyscreen housing, uprights and took out both IR circuit boards.:mad: It cost me about $200 this year in replacements - that included shipping to Canada.

    I do agree about the Oehler 35 but if you can swing it, get the 35P (printer). FWIW Oehler will still repair the 35's.
    __________________
    Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

    Stercus Accidit.

    Nice try means you suck spelled different.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Chatham, VA
    Posts: 436
    Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
    Sorry guys, I disagree on the CED M2. I used 2 of them in a coffin, a primary and a check chrono. The check chrono died a complete death, and not from being shot, and the primary started to lie about the velocities, so much so, you couldn't believe it.:mad:

    I* have a PACT Professional that I'm happy with, except for the fact that I kept shooting the skyscreen housing, uprights and took out both IR circuit boards.:mad: It cost me about $200 this year in replacements - that included shipping to Canada.

    I do agree about the Oehler 35 but if you can swing it, get the 35P (printer). FWIW Oehler will still repair the 35's.
    Wow, you honestly are the first person I have heard with a problem M2. I see an awful lot of them performing well at USPSA matches and mine has been great. I bet CED would make it right if it was a defective product. They are pretty supportive of the shooting sports and I like their products and representatives.
    __________________
    "My greatest fear is that after my demise my wife will sell my guns for the price I told her I paid for them"
    -don't know where it came from...but true
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 11-28-2008, 06:35 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 182
    Re: help on chooosing a chronograph

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    Wow, you honestly are the first person I have heard with a problem M2. I see an awful lot of them performing well at USPSA matches and mine has been great. I bet CED would make it right if it was a defective product. They are pretty supportive of the shooting sports and I like their products and representatives.
    I know others that got them and in less than a year, they sold them and bought others.
    __________________
    Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

    Stercus Accidit.

    Nice try means you suck spelled different.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: help on chooosing a chronograph
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph Eaglet General Discussion 10 03-31-2010 11:28 PM
    Chronograph ES and SD mo General Discussion 5 06-06-2009 08:50 AM
    Chronograph soren The Basics, Starting Out 3 03-25-2008 02:49 PM
    Bad Chronograph Bigcat_hunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 10 03-14-2008 10:25 PM
    Which chronograph to buy???? elkstalker300 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 03-04-2007 01:17 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC