Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

HELP, cannot find very heavy rifle BiPod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM

HELP, cannot find very heavy rifle BiPod

Have a purpose built 1000 yard gong ringer in 338 RUM. Withe the IOR 4-28x56 it comes in at 20 pounds and most of the weight is forward as the balance point is 1/2 the distance between the front of the trigger guard and end of fore end. (F class Savage stock).

Have had no luck in finding a BiPod to support this beast. Even Sinclair tells me their F Class BiPod is not suitable.

Have been shooting it with the largest Bulls Bag, on a home made wood box to support the fore end and a Shooters Ridge Zero Kick Rest (with the front pad removed) to support the back and dampen the recoil with a 25 pound weight (yes it kicks !). Very Mickey Mouse but it does work.

Latest group at 300 Yards with 95 gr RL33, 300 Berger and NULA magnum primer.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: HELP, cannot find very heavy rifle BiPod

Im not sure, XLR's bipod looks pretty sturdy
Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
PUBLISHER

We have on order a bunch of the new model of beefier Atlas bipods. Early 2014 delivery.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info. Please drop me a PM when they are available.
ALSO, as you know the F Class Savage stock has a long female rail inletted into the for end. How does the Atlas link up with that.

Here's a pic of the rifle with one of the Bi Pods I tried that did not work.
(Fine on AR, but not the "beast".)

THANKS!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

My 338 lapua improved weighs 21.5 lbs ready to fire and the atlas works just fine for me. I think you'd be surprised at the quality of the atlas. Now, I haven't used my atlas fully extended with my 338, so maybe that's where it would fail. But fully retracted it holds up just fine. I do however have a Muscle brake. Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks. I was incorrect about the balance point, actually 1" back from the fore end tip. As I'm a snowbird and only in WY until mid December I can wait for the new heavy duty Atlas as there is little use for a 338 RUM in Key West !

The newest data for RL 33 is now available from Alliant on line. The 338 RUM is not in the newest book w/RL 33 (338 Lapua is). They don't mention the bbl length, I assume 26". Ballistic twins, just different designs for different applications. The RUM works fine for me but I believe in a semi or full auto application the Lapua would be superior.

You might wonder how I extract loaded cartridges from my left port, left eject 6.5/284 action. You don't w/o removing the bolt. Empties come out fine. Only time I ever had to eject a dummy loaded round was when setting up seating depths. Pull the trigger, push the bolt removal lever and the bolt & cartridge come out the back.
(three hand would help !)

FYI the rifle was built by Scott Null in Driggs ID, great guy and excellent work.
The scope cost almost twice the rifle's price but .......

Have yet to try the Lehigh Defense 250 gr (ex Boretech) which Scott throated her for.
The 300 Berger is close but the Lehigh has a higher BC.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

I have a heavy (not sure exactly) 338LM with a GG&G heavy duty bipod on it. It works great and IMO is worth looking into. Think it was designed for the big fifty!