Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Hearing protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

Hearing protection

I read some place that their are ear plugs available that allow you to hear noises like people talking ( some times nice not to hear ) , but blocks out loud nioses . Some of these guns with brakes on them are very hard on the hearing , and you can't wear muffs all the time like when you are out hunting . I think I read that the tactical people use them a lot .
Old 10-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hearing protection

Willy 1

These are electronic ear muffs. They filter out loud noise (eg gun blast) but allow (and/or amplify) normal noise (eg speech). Some other people here might be able to give you info on best manufacturers/suppliers.

Have a look at
http://www.letargets.com/html/protective.html

and
www.cabelas.com.

At cabelas do a search for "ear muffs".

Rgds

Old 10-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hearing protection

Willy,
I believe that there are two options, electronic muffs and hearing aides that are intended for hunters. I have a set of Walker's Game Ears (fit behind and in the ear like some hearing aides) that work very well. Unreal how well you can hear and they shut out sudden loud noises like shooting. Walker advertises in all the hunting mags, particularly the deer hunting mags. You can check out www.walkersgameear.com.

My outfitter buddies use electronic muffs so that they can talk to their clients in the goose pits but not get their ears blasted when the guys start shooting. There are several designs, including some very compact models that don't get in the way much and fold up small. One of the big names in these muffs is PELTOR www.aosafety.com