Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Hearing Aids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Hearing Aids

I'm at the point where i need some hearing assistance and starting to research the different models. i'm tired of saying "huh" talked to the guy that owns Sport Ear yesterday and they seem to have a nice product, especially for those that shoot and hunt. was looking for any advice or recommendations.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Huh? what was that?

I'm in the same boat. Keep us posted, ok?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Bronze Member

Dave, I've worn hearing aids all my life. If you're looking for a professional aid as opposed to something to simply help you while hunting, you might consider one of the new digital behind-the-ear hearing aids. They are spendy but well worth the money. The sound quality has come a long way over the years. My latest aid is a Moxi Indigo made by Unitron Hearing. Best hearing aid I've owned yet. Forgot to put on my muffs once while shooting a braked 338 lapua, which needless to say was not one of my brighter moves considering that I have so little hearing left. The aid sufficiently muffled the sound to protect my ear. Wouldn't recommend that as a matter of course though... Best thing is to go to a reputable audiologist and let them recommend something for your level of hearing loss. An audiologist will have knowledge of quite a few different hearing aid brands, to better fit your specific needs. Good luck with your efforts. -- Don

Psalms 27:1
Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

I recently got a pair of hearing aids. I don't know the exact model; I'm not wearing them right now (bad daddy). Mine are the behind the ear style with the hear-through ear bud. The part that goes in my ear alows air and sound to travel past. I have had mixed results with it; I have more feedback than I like but my wife REALLY appreciates it when I wear them.

The best news about getting mine was finding out the cause of my hearing loss. My wife always blamed my guns (ya right). I found out that my ears do not feed sound waves to my eardrums correctly, genetic thing. I told her it wasn't the guns fault.

Good luck on your search. I have no idea about what/if you have health insurance but if you do they may help out with hearing aids.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

I've worn hearing aids since 1988 or so, I was 34 and fairly hard of hearing.

Nowadays I get mine through the military (not the Veteran's Administration, I despise the VA and will not accept anything from them) as I was diagnosed and issued my first hearing aids while on active duty. This method allows me to buy them at the military cost, just over $300 each last time around. I wear in the ear models, they're small and fairly nice, my current model is Phonak but I've had several Unitron and others. They seem to last about 5 years and die due to bad switches or battery doors.

The commercial hearing aids are custom fit for the persons individual loss, trying to create a sound gain curve that compliments the hearing loss curve resulting in a nice "repair", they don't simply amplify everything as not everything need it.

Most have a compression circuit to protect against accidental exposure to loud noises.

The batteries are very different than most, mine are air activiated so they store nearly forever and when they go dead it's in a matter of seconds. They seem to last about 2 weeks with the only off time being when I'm sleeping.

Tips: Carry/store extra batteries everywhere, in the car, at work, back pack etc. (They go dead "right now" and when that happens you'll be unhappy without a replacement.)
Don't swim with them in your ears, it won't matter if its a planned swim or unplanned, its a bad idea and they don't like it.
Get the replacement insurance for your first few sets, they can get lost or eaten by dogs and cats. (Pets really enjoy the smell and apparently the taste of hearing aids.)

It is very nice to be able to hear well, I really didn't realize how much I was not hearing until I got my first set. I thought crickets had become extinct and I could hear women and children well again, things like 'Who's shoe am I touching?" didn't sound like "Who's chewing my Texan?", and many others.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

I ordered a pair of Sportear's at the Harrisburg show. There are good and bad reports on the comoany but I found many more good than bad and I got the sports show deals along with an outfitters price. I needed the high $$ models because of my hearing loss and they are setting them to my hearing test. They also threw in a free fitting. They say these are the same as a $6000 pair of hearing aids so guess I will see.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

thanks for all the replies. i hear ya!