close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Has anyone tried the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Has anyone tried the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser?

I got mine today. Works great, pretty fast and accurate too, even on Normal speed with H4831SC ...

I was going to get an RCBS and have been waiting for them to come down in price.

The Hornady is a great deal!

Unread 11-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

Well I went ahead & got mine today and I am so glad I did! I really, really like it! It is very easy to set up an use. Very simple & straight forward. Works great!

Very accurate and way quicker than a scale & trickler. It is nice knowing that each charge is exactly the same as the last one and exactly the same as the next.

I don't see myself loading without one again! Best new reloading tool I have ever bought! Hopefully it will last for years to come.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 5:8, "God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!"
Romans 10:13 "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved!"
Romans 10:9"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved.."
Unread 12-31-2015, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Just wondering how people are liking these. Thinking of ordering one. $169 on sale right now.
Unread 12-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using one for 4 years with no problems. I like it. Works fine for +/- .1 gr. If you use small stick powder like Benchmark it dispenses really well. Use big sticks like Varget is hars a harder time and will throw about two-three out of ten over and you just dump it back in the top and hit the button again. I use mine a lot to throw about .3 Gr under, then trickle up on a Gempro 250. I like this set up a lot.
Unread 12-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

I just got one also . Watch the Hornady video , read the instructions and let it warm up as directed. I had to move mine to the slow mode to eliminate the occasional over throw. You can even slow it down further as directed on their video. I'm happy with the purchase and I would recommend it to friends and family. It sure speeds things up for me.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"
Unread 01-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

Got mine today and set it right up and ran some test loads through it, testing each one on my balance beam scale. I was pleasantly surprised at how close each load was. They seemed + or - less than .1. I did notice one important thing. The loads it throws are about .2 grains less than my balance beam scale. So I'll have to do some experimenting to see if I need to up my charges to keep my grouping and drops the same. My beam scale is just a cheap lee one so I'm not surprised to see it not accurate.
Unread 01-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

In my last post I stated that my new auto charge loads were light on the beam scale that my hand loads are made with. Out of curiosity today I weighed 5 loads on my beam scale at 50.2 grains which is my 6.5-284 load. I cross weighed all 5 of those charges on the auto charge's scale. They must have weighed about 50.45 grains because all 5 loads teetered between 50.4 & 50.5 grains before settling on one or the other. So now I guess I'll load a group at each of those with the auto charge and see which one shoots best.