Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Hand Held Ballistic Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hand Held Ballistic Calculator

AB itself says you don't need GPS or data connection to run calcs but it sure seems like the stores are forcing something besides the Android 2.2 or higher requirement.
Romans 12:12
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Why don't you just buy an old phone? I bought an iPhone 3GS for $50 that runs Shooter just fine. i would think you could find a similar deal on some Android based phone and just use it as a ballistics calculator.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Thanks. That's the next option I will be looking into.
I was hoping for the larger screen option of a 7 inch tablet so I could also view Google Earth better while in hunting camp. Plus, my wife seems to think that on a phone, the wifi won't work unless you buy a phone plan, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Going to the phone shop to ask Monday morning.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

Wifi works just fine on an old phone without a plan, but you obviously don't have access to cellular data without one. Supposedly even GPS apps will work without a phone plan but I've never verified that.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

My wife, who like most wives knows everything, insists that while a deactivated cell phone will still have operational Wifi, you can't download apps from the net without a data plan. I'm heading to the phone shop for a second opinion on that from another woman.

But from my experience of 3 different new tablets, all with wifi, android 4.0 or higher, and Google Play Store, they just don't work with Applied Ballistics for some reason. "Device incompatible" is the message that I keep getting whenever I attempt to download AB.

Has anyone been able to download AB on a tablet?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

For anyone else who might be interested in running Applied Ballistics on a tablet, after 3 failed purchases, I have finally found one that works perfectly.

The highly reviewed new Google Nexus 7 Gen2 has 2 GB of ram and 16 GB of memory. The app loaded like a charm and works perfectly, along with Google Earth. The 7" screen makes things very easy to see and operate as compared to a cell phone, for those of us with fat fingers and/or aging eyes. For $229 at Walmart right now, it was a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but it is very high quality for the cost, and also gives shot angle and compass direction for Coriollis effect. When connected to WiFi, it gives altitude and baro as well, but that has no use in the field where Wifi is not available of course.

The reviews say that you can also use it to download and watch movies in HD, as well as take high quality photos and video with it, but that's not what I bought it for, so mine will likely only see use for running ballistic calculations and browsing the web at times. Hopefully this information helps others.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Awesome. Glad to hear you got one to work. Thanks for reporting back. Throw an otterbox defender case on that thing and have some fun.
Romans 12:12