Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Hand Held Ballistic Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Hand Held Ballistic Calculator

So I'm using my 4G smart phone to run my Applied Ballistics program, and it works fine. But a smart phone isn't designed for the abuse and elements encountered on a hunting trip. Would like to find a rugged waterproof hand held unit to run my AB program....suggestions?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hand Held Ballistic Calculator

I got my phone in the heavy Otter cover and it protects my phone from every thing short of a long swim and tractor tires, hunting was no problem. You could always get a cheap ebay phone or pad and use it only for app.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Otterboxes are pretty rugged. My wife loves hers. Lifetime warranty - Otterbox replaced hers once already just because the silicone skin wore out. Fully waterproof covers are also available for the 4G.

Then there is the issue of battery life. You might want to go on airplane mode and turn down the display brightness.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Yep, I got an otter for my phone too.

Also just bought a $79 "tablet" at Walmart. It has wifi so I should have no trouble downloading the Applied Ballistics app. No phone so no phone plan to worry about. 7" screen should be interesting and easier to work with the program.

With the cell phone and tablet as a backup, I'm no longer worried about being without scope dope on a hunting trip.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

I've got a Droid Razr Maxx with the otterbox protector/cover on it. A buddy of mine had an otterbox small waterproof box on his desk, and just for fun I put my phone in it, and it fit perfectly! So, I bought an otterbox 2000 off of ebay for $15, and my phone will be in it for hunting. It should protect it from cold, rain, or me falling on my butt!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Be careful you may find that some apps will not install if the device doesn't meet certain requirements. For instance my wife has an android based Nook that has access to the google play store which sells applied ballistics. The app does not show as available for it. Haven't really looked into what exactly is missing but for one thing the Nook has no GPS module which the app can use for several functions.This could all just be a fluke with the way the store works. As I said I haven't dug into it. But some of these places do only allow you to buy or install an app if they determine your hardware is compatible.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Yep, I just learned that lesson the hard way....bought an android tablet at Walmart that had the Google play station and GPS built in, but Applied Ballistics wouldn't load, saying the device was incompatible. So I returned it and went to Office Max and got a Nextbook tablet with android, and that experience was even worse. AB says "you have no device" when I tried to download it. Ditto that for Google Earth. And I told the salesman exactly why I was buying it and how the Walmart tablet didn't work, and he said this one would for sure. I'm afraid that perhaps there is no cheap way to get a device just for running the AB program (don't want a second phone and plan to pay for). If anyone has had luck with a specific inexpensive tablet or other non-phone plan device for running the AB program, please let us know the particulars.