Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

what might the ammonia concentration be in this stuff out of cusiosity?

thanks
JB
Old 12-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

The ammonia is said to be in the tenth (.1) percentile or thereabouts. It is almost non-existent in the product. However, it does have a pretty strong ammonia smell but the instructions that come with it say that is actually the smell of the enzyme itself. The smell is not near as bad as CR-10 or Sweets though. I can clean with Coppermelt indoors with no fans and I can leave the windows closed. I can't do that with Sweet's.
Whatever is in the stuff does not hurt steel. I have had two of my barrels borescoped after using this product for 10 months and there was no damage at all. It was the first time that we could actually see all the way down to bare steel through all the moly residue. In my first post on this stuff, I mentioned putting this product on the outside of some barrel steel for a long time and it never even made a discoloration!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 AM

Hey goodgrouper,
I see that your at it again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Trying to convert some people who use crap to clean their barrels with - is like trying to switch poopsies nugie(security blanket). I sure am glad that you helped me switch my nugie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
See Ya Later,
slygunner
Old 01-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

I was wondering about breaking in a new barrel. Is this cleaner a better way to break in a new barrel too?? If so what method should one follow? Thanks
Old 01-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

This stuff is great for barrel break-in because it turns a 5 day job into about a 1 day job.

In the instructions that come with it, there is a whole section on how barrel break-in should be done with this product. It is fairly similair to normal product break-in, just a bunch faster! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

I have got to add a few comments on this topic,while I am as enthusiastic about coppermelt as goodgrouper ,I do not use a 17cal rod to clean my .22cal barrels. it is easy to take a 22cal nylon brush put it in a drill use a little sandpaper and make the brush the correct size then you dont have to use those whimpy 17cal rods.
Coppermelt works like nonother on copper but it's one drawback is that it does NOT remove hard carbon fouling so on some hotrod guns you must clean them the old fashioned way with a bronze brush once in a while to scrub out the hard carbon.
B
Old 02-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

I just finished cleaning my .300 mag after my cow elk hunt and thought some of you might like to see a pic of how well Coppermelt works. I shot 43 shots down this barrel since the last time I cleaned it and it only took 5 patches to get it spotless. This barrel is well worn, and normaly takes about 2 hours to clean with Sweet's or Cr-10. But with coppermelt, it took about 15 minutes!!

Pull it
Dump it