Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

I hope that they haven't gone out of business. I just got 2 cans from Russell Sports here in Canada - FYI, Russells WILL NOT be shipping Coppermelt in the mail anymore. I guess they are having a problem with the cans getting all banged up and leaking ALL the contents out in the mail. The one can that I recieved was pretty dinged up and half leaked out in shipping. They refunded my money, and told me that they are discontuing shipping in the mail.

I still haven't had an opportunity to try the stuff out yet. I don't have the proper nylon brushes, and they are damn near impossible to get right now in Saskatchewan. I will post my results when I get a chance to try it out. I have 2 fouled up rifles ready to go! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Silver Member

gg
my .25-06 is a copper eater.i tried a friends bottle saturday and his instructions were use no more than 3 drops per patch.i was using a .22 nylon brush and cut t-shirt squares(tough cotton and kinda tight).after 1hour of 15-20 strokes each patch,20 of them.i was wore out and went to shoot.5 miles to another friends house and 500+ range.i ran 5patches of butch's bore shine and it was clean. my thought was it worked but i should have used more like the 8 drop per patch range.my 3 drop method was a relatively dry patch. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

I am finding that 4 to 8 drops per patch work nicely depending on weather I am using 1" squares of cut t shirt or 1"x2" rectangles or 2"x2" squares. The one inch squares I am using with a patch eye in the .22s The rectangles I am wrapping around the .17 cal brush in a spiraling down fashion. This lets me start the patch in the muzzle of the 10/22 easier but then gives me good contact at the rear of the brush.

I am having a hard time getting the JC Higgins to come clean. The first time took 29 patches then we shot about 100 rounds through it and the last cleaning took so many patches I finally quit and said "good enough." This was after swithcing to Hoppes BR and scrubbing with a bronze brush for a while and then going back to the Copper Melt for a while longer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm not seeing any green. Only grey even though we shot copper plated ammo through it since the last cleaning.

I will say that the newer guns (10/22 and the Li'l Buckaroo) cleaned in 3 patches each. The Mini 14 cleaned in 5 patches with 100 rounds through between cleaning.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

i was using 1x2 and "wet" it once and it was all blue.i guess ya got to use the stuff despite the price.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Well fellas, I heard some of the best news today that I've heard in a long time. <font color="blue"> COPPERMELT IS BACK IN BUSINESS!! </font>

The inventor has had several companies attempt to buy him out but he held firm and is producing small batches at the moment until he gets back to big time production sometime in the near future. To make a long story short, a batch of 70 bottles is coming to a gunshop near me here in Utah because the owner of the gunshop was Coppermelts first commercial buyer so the inventor is paying him back for the business by giving him the first new batch.

It is going to be here in about a week, and the owner of the gunshop will notify me when it arrives. He then wants me to post it here with the intent to ship to whoever wants some ANYWHERE in the world. He is prepared to ship to Europe, Australia, Canada, and others.

Please sit tight, and don't email me with questions about getting some now. It will be here in a week and we will act upon it then. I will give you the phone number to the shop after it arrives.

Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

goodgrouper:

That's good to hear. I have a few bottles, so I'm set if he doesn't take too long.

I was in a small local gun shop a couple of days ago and he had been trying to get some from Brownell's, I believe he said, and was told it was "factory discontinued", but it sounds like that will change in the future.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the update GG!! I am glad to hear they are going to be up and running soon! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]