Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

The enzyme I am talking about is called Hunter's Extreme Copper Melt. It is made in Canada and it works with a live, water-soluble enzyme that has been bio-engineered to literally eat copper,moly,powder residue, and lead almost instantly. A friend of mine was given a bottle of this stuff at the 2004 Shot Show and let me try it on a barrel of mine that usually takes 7-8 hours of scrubbing with cr-10 and Butch's. The barrel was clean with 8 patches! Needless to say, I have been using the stuff ever since. I don't believe in magic potions, but this stuff really deserves your attention, especially if you clean your guns often and are "anal" about it. I have put this stuff on a piece of barrel metal overnight for 3 nights and it made absolutely no discoloration at all. I then put a drop on a bullet and let it sit overnight. In the morning it had almost dissolved the jacket down to the lead. Of course, there are always some drawbacks to something this good. One is cost. This product is expensive. $30 for a 3.5 oz. bottle. You also have to gear up with undersized nylon brushes for your caliber because it is designed to work with an oversized patch wrapped around an undersized brush. And it has to be nylon because it will eat your bronze brushes for lunch. Another drawback is that since it is a living organism, it is possible to kill it. If you contaminate the supplied dropper with anything foreign and then stick it back in the bottle it will wipe out your $30 bucks. But if you can deal with these drawbacks the rewards are great. If you want to know more about it or possibly buy some, check out www.coppermelt.com. And no, I don't sell the stuff and I DIDN'T get paid to write this!!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: had it with chemical solvents? try an enzyme!

VERY INTERESTING--It's amazing the new products and changes "coming down the pike".!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:49 PM

goodgrouper,
Thanks for turning me on to copper melt [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I also mentioned this amazing product on another forum and it got no attention. I don't know if people are afraid of trying new things or just can't justify spending that much money on it. When you let me use it at the range that day I thought that my barrel was copper free because butch's showed no discoloration on the patch, man was I wrong [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Then it only took 4 patches to completely remove all the copper. I can't say for an absolute positive but I will never use anything else, unless something better comes along which I can't see happening in the near future. Thanks again.
slygunner
Old 09-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

slygunner
Your welcome! Just don't buy the last bottle on the shelf--it's for me!
P.S. Welcome to the best forum on the net!
-goodgrouper
Pull it
Dump it

Old 12-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

It has been sometime since I posted this product, but Robert Anderson's post on copper solvents today reminded me of it. He has used this product and seems to have found the same conclusion I did. That stuff really is the best. I was kinda disappointed when I first posted this procuct becuase people didn't seem to really respond to it as well as I thought they would. I would really like to re-iterate how awesome this stuff really is so that it will get used and the company will stick around awhile. We just started carrying it at my place of work and I've got several dozen people started on it and all of them can't believe how good it works. They have thrown away or shot their old solvents because you just don't need them anymore. If you haven't tried it yet, go to www.coppermelt.com and give it a look!
--goodgrouper
Pull it
Dump it

Old 12-29-2004, 03:35 PM

Will this work well to clean the cylinder fronts of a 44 magnum stainless revolver? They are black and I want to clean them well.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Ok You guys talked me into it I just ordered a bottle to try and some brushes...but I have a question for ya guys I"m cleaning .223, a .308, and a .338 Lapua I went to the site ans seen I needed .25cal brushes for the .308 and .27 brushes for the Lapua ...but the .223 it says to use a .17cal brush ...do they make them to fit the standard size threds on a dewy rod...I called and ordered from Brownels and they said that the .17cal brushes thay had was different threads (Smaller) and the adapter actually went the wrong way it went even smaller yet. any info would be great. Thanks Keith