Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Grip Shape?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Grip Shape?

Stocks have many different shapes for the grip, vertical, traditional, some have slots for individual fingers.

Are these many for comfort, or is there a functional purpose?

Vertical seems prevalent here. Is it for maintaining form or what/

Thanks in advance.

edge.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Grip Shape?

I have no idea of this but wanted to thank you for bringing this up was wondering the same thing myself. Looking forward to an answer
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenY 2013 View Post
I have no idea of this but wanted to thank you for bringing this up was wondering the same thing myself. Looking forward to an answer
Different grip shapes are for different styles of shooting.

There intent is to position the trigger hand in the most comfortable/repeatable position for the
type of shooting to be done.

Just like the importance of trigger control for accuracy, hand position can be very important
also.

For example: For off hand shooting, a vertical grip is more natural and therefore more
consistant most of the time.

Thumb hole stocks are good for bench or varmint shooting.

And pistol grip stocks are good for dangerous game hunting where quick acquisition is most
important.

It is also a personal thing as to which grip style a person is most comfortable with for all round
shooting.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all styles so one must chose what works best
for them.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the answer.

I recently took a look at the rifle fitting article again and see how badly my rifle fits me, especially the trigger fit.
I plan on making several modifications to the stock.

Where I hunt I rarely can use a prone position due to high grass and brush.
I often use high shooting sticks, sitting height bi-pod or shoot off of what the terrain offers, rarely to never offhand.

I have a tendency to pull right when target shooting but not in the field....bulls eye panic I guess

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

edge.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
Thanks for the answer.

I recently took a look at the rifle fitting article again and see how badly my rifle fits me, especially the trigger fit.
I plan on making several modifications to the stock.

Where I hunt I rarely can use a prone position due to high grass and brush.
I often use high shooting sticks, sitting height bi-pod or shoot off of what the terrain offers, rarely to never offhand.

I have a tendency to pull right when target shooting but not in the field....bulls eye panic I guess

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

edge.

Almost any style will work in your type of shooting. If you hunt in cold weather with gloves a
vertical grip would probably be best.

If you shoot with no gloves, a thumb hole with a palm swell will position your hand consistently.

If you are pulling to the right your length of pull is probably incorrect. (Or you have target panic).

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks again and will try a vertical grip. With hunting clothes on the LOP is a bit long but not at the range where I really pull the most.

edge.