Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

graphite powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

graphite powder

i reckon reloading stuff goes under here. anyway, anyone ever use graphite powder to lube the necks before decapping? my landlord gave me some. he knows someone at a local business that uses it. its seems to work well. no apparent sticking other than when it sizes real quick. he kinda caught me off guard when he mentioned it and i just wondered if anyone else ever tried it.

-Brian
Old 05-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: graphite powder

I've never heard of doing that and would not introduce anything like it into a die. Imperial wax is much easier to control.
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

i thought i heard some powders have graphite in them to act as a lube for the barrel though. is that true, and if so, why is graphite down the barrel fine, but not on the neck of the case?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Gold Member

Actually, Imperial also makes a graphite powder for sizing necks. Seems to work a lot better than motor mica, but hooo-boy. Do *not* spill this stuff in the vincinity of carpeted floor. It has a dispersion effect similar to copier toner. Spousal unit will not be happy. Don't ask me how I know!

Anyway, it works slicker than snot on the proverbial doorknob, and pretty much eliminates any expander ball drag, period. Doesn't cause powder granules to stick like the Imperial sizing die wax does when used on the inside of the case neck.

Only bummer is that it is kinda messy, and I've yet to figure out a 'good' way to apply both Imperial products at the same time w/o making one hell of a mess of me and the case. One or the other is no problem.

HTH,

Monte
Old 05-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

milanuk,
i know what you mean. i'm single so i dont have to worry about the spousal unit, but i can only imagine. my kitchen table is...well....less than....clean.

where did you get yours from? although i have some now, it was given to me, and i'd like to continue using it based on the results.

-brian
Old 05-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

IIRC, Sinclair's carries it (www.sinclairintl.com)

Monte
Old 05-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, you can use and they market graphite for case necks. Have used it for years and I don't get a sticky mess from lubing the inside of necks with an oil, or a wax base product.

DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]