Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

GPS Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: GPS Recommendations

to go with tjbills post, I have the etrex vista (not the cx) so it doesnt have the color screen or anything but I use it all the time setting up land navigation courses and finding my way around. Ive taken it hunting a few times and also been up in the middle of no where wyoming with it and it works great. So yea, if you want color perhaps the cx but the regular vista works great for me, and i think it was only about 220 bucks when I found it. Its basically a steup up from the legend, with other features to include altitude and a compass and such.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the insite, guys. My Newfoundland guide used a Garmin 32mg Rhino and, unlike me, didn't lose his unit somewhere in the tuckamores like I did. We never got turned around or confused. Another question: Other than the exterior appearance, is there any difference between the GPSMAP 76csx and the 60csx? Thanks for your indulgence....just as my Leica 10x42 was likely my last bino purchase, I want this GPS to last for a long time. Dave
Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

I just compared the 60 csx and 76 csx on garmins website. The 60 csx is 2.2 oz lighter w/o batteries. The 76csx comes with a 128 mb microSD card as opposed to a 64mb in the 60csx.

If your guide has a Rhino you might consider getting one of those, it could make things easier (and might also act as a locating beacon if you lost it in the woods again).
Old 02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

I've had a rino 120 for about three or fours years now. It has always worked great. I love it, plus they are pretty cheap now way less than your $500 budget. however check out the rino 530 (i think that is what they are called) amazing color screens all the bells and whistles. keep in mind that the walky-talkie on any rino will communicate with any other walky-talkie so all your hunting buddies need is a radio from radio shack and then you can all stay in touch!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

didnt read entire post but garmin 76 is what I use not only do I hunt with it but it was my main GPS when I lived in FL for deep sea fishing. But where it made a difference is when I SUBA dive, it really makes a diffence when you get to the anchor and DONT SEE WHAT YOU WANTED TO DIVE, OR MOVE THE ANCHOR OFF THE WRECK!

Those $500 versions with map in them to me waste of money!

Get the biggest screen you can find! Im not fond of color.

Where I hunt mostley you can see a hundred yards, Who cares that the map shows some things you cant see. Ten miles away.

Model 72 GREAT buy for the money!

Opinion on a Rhino.....well you want a radio or a GPS? if your battery dies your out both...lose one at least you have the other.

BIG SCREEN! BIG SCREEN! BIG SCREEN! makes one hell of a diff in the dark.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

NYLES,
If you're color blind then I agree with you, other wise color is nice. You know, different things, different colors, you know what's what! JMO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

160 ft under the boat, color makes no diff......When the land is flat 120 ft above sea level there is no color change....still not color blind and all I want from a GPS is which way to go! on the COMPASS screen color makes no diff!

Not knocking color at all, I just never found a use for it.

Maybe on a bottom machine but not a GPS.