Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Gortex boots...are they really waterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Gortex boots...are they really waterproof?

I've been wearing Irish Setter Goretex boots for the last nine years.I find them to be the best Goretex boots I've tried.The all leather ones are rugged,dry and long life boots.The Rocky boots were the worst.Didn't have too much luck with Danners and Merrils either.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Gortex is "Guaranteed to keep you dry!" Gortex really means it when they say that, Gortex has a life time waranty, only problem is you have to first get wet in order to use it. I recently had to send in a pair of Danner Pronghorns, and a pair of Browning Hydroflece pants, they called my within days of recieving the stuff and fully replaced wih new gear.. Gortex's cutomer service is excellent, they really stand behind their product.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

I have 3 pairs of Danners (Acadia, Raptor, and another I don't know the name of) with gore-tex, Asolo mountaineering boots with gore-tex, had one pair of Rocky bearclaw's, a ton of Mountain Hardwear gear which has gore-tex and a lot more I'm forgetting.

None of my boots have ever leaked except the Rocky bearclaw. First and last pair of Rocky's for me...not just because they leaked, but because of poor construction and lasting only two years before falling apart. Two pairs of the Danners I have are going on 10+ years. I don't baby them, but I do take care of them.

The quality manufactured products with genuine gore-tex have never let me down. Anybody can put gore-tex laminates or booties in any product, but if it isn't done right you're throwing away money.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

BS, you just sent those items in to Gore-Tex explaining they leaked and they ordered you new wares?

I have a pair of fist run Hydrofleece bibs that I bought 16 years ago and they are by far the best pants I've ever owned. Still dry to this day and they've hunted hard all over the US and Canada.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

I have had good luck with gortex also. With similar issues noted from others with regards to gortex.

Although I have a different foot that requires custom made stuff to fit correctly.
Due to this issue with my foot size, I had a set of Russell Moccasins/Boots custom made for me. Full grain silicone Impregnated leather boots. So far for 3-4 years no problems and no leaks very waterproof resole-able. They also backed their product well. The first set of boots I received, I didn't like how the sole was cut. They made me a completely new pair. I then stated that due to the amount of time and having to remake the boots they should send me some silicone boot treatment for the boots. They mailed me 1-gallon of treatment for the boots pretty much a lifetime supply. I could never find a set of mass produced boots that really fit me well and with the costs of some of the boots for the bit of extra money I have boots crafted just for me. NO GORTEX
Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I've had pretty good luck with Meindl leather Gore-tex lined boots. If your wear them long enough in the wet stuff, the leather eventually soaks up water and the boots feel water-logged and heavy, but my socks inside the Gore-tex lining doesn't get soaked like the leather outside does.

So I've found the Gore-tex linings to work reasonably well with Meindl and Haix brands of boots.

And I wore the one set of Meindl Canada Hunter models from Cabela's for about 12 years before the soles finally de-laminated and began to fall off of them.
Amen

I second that my miendle boots are now 8 yrs old and have still not fallen apart. I have hunted very hard in hese boots with great comfort.

JAWZ
Old 11-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan View Post
BS, you just sent those items in to Gore-Tex explaining they leaked and they ordered you new wares?

I have a pair of fist run Hydrofleece bibs that I bought 16 years ago and they are by far the best pants I've ever owned. Still dry to this day and they've hunted hard all over the US and Canada.

You bet, I called Goretex, and they gave me a "Return Authorization #" I sent my boots and pants down to them. They called me back within days of recieving them stating that they would give full replacement. Given that I live in Alberta, I just went to my local sports shop and Goretex forwarded a Credit Card #, I left with new stuff.