Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Gortex boots...are they really waterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Gortex boots...are they really waterproof?

i've owned more than a handful of these things over the years and i'm not sure i ever had a pair that was waterproof. recently bought a pair from Wolveren, really like them, light, flexable, but of course don't walk in wet grass. sent em back, got another pair, same thing. all you need is wet grass and you have wet feet. the only thing i'm convinced of with gortex is every drop of water that gets inside the boot, will stay in there. none of it ever leaks out. is that what they mean by waterproof?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gortex boots...are they really waterproof?

Well...hmm...I've spent years working and playing in many different types of goretex boot and boots without waterproof breathable (wb) laminate. I have found that in wet conditions, my feet remain dryer in goretex boots. However, if you are working hard, your feet sweat a great deal and easily overpower the breathing ability of the laminate, so you may not be able to tell the difference.

One thing I rarely see mentioned in adds is if the goretex bootie is seam sealed inside the boot. I don't know, but if it's not, water will leak right through the seams to your feet. I still think it's important to treat the leather, etc. to repel water just like you do for wb laminate jackets, etc. Just like on a wb laminate jacket, if the dwr coating is old, etc. and doesn't work anymore and the surface fabric 'wets out' (water doesn't bead up on it, but soaks inot the fabric), the wb laminate will not be able to breathe very well and you then essentially have a very expensive rain jacket with breathability not much better than a $20 vinly rainjacket.

Same concept applies to footwear. I think it's important to talk to the boot manufacturer and see what they reccomend for this purpose and determine from that in part if you want to buy their boot.

It's my understanding that feet have more sweat pores per square inch than any other part of your body so it's no wonder feet are often wet and smelly!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 10-21-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Dave, I have had luck with Danners keeping water out, but after a year or two they begin to leak as well. May-be your boots had the gor-tex installed inside out? Or China dosen't do as well a job as they think.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

I've had pretty good luck with Meindl leather Gore-tex lined boots. If your wear them long enough in the wet stuff, the leather eventually soaks up water and the boots feel water-logged and heavy, but my socks inside the Gore-tex lining doesn't get soaked like the leather outside does.

So I've found the Gore-tex linings to work reasonably well with Meindl and Haix brands of boots.

And I wore the one set of Meindl Canada Hunter models from Cabela's for about 12 years before the soles finally de-laminated and began to fall off of them.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Dave, your probably talking about Rocky boots especially with the cordura. I'm on my 3rd pair of Bearclaws in 2 years. One sole delaminated on one and the other two leaked more than the first pair. Exactly what your are talking about walking in the wet grass.

My other worst boot ever purchased was the Danner Pronghorns. Same thing two pair in less than a year.

The one pair of boots I have that is waterproof short of my knee rubbers are the Rocky Snowstalker Extremes. But those are like walking in ski boots.

I too would like to keep my feet dry and warm.....
Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm...I've spent 5 elk seasons and a number of days hunting deer in Danner Raptors (backpack wilderness hunting--not road hunting) with snobob sole and use Danner's own boot care waterproofer. Just put waterproofer on them today, in fact, to get ready for this weekends elk opener. They show some wear, but I still think I have several seasons on them. I use a pair of Danner 8" Acadia GTX steel toe for work as well and have been happy with them. First pairs of Danner's I've owned. The Raptors are definetly more comfortable with less break in time and are the reason I bought the Acadias for work. Acadias definitely built on a different last, however. Interesting the different experiences out there.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

I believe the Danner pronghorns are made overseas.