Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Good Electronic Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

Good Electronic Scale

Anyone have an idea of who makes a Good Electronic Scale?

I'd like one that can not only hold zero, but be repeatable as well.

This piece of green plastic I have is about to become an 800 yard target. If it would only give me a load consistent enough to hit it!
Old 08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Good Electronic Scale

Tim, I've got the RCBS(Made by Pact), I notice in the instructions, it says when doing alot of measuring, that you have to recalibrate the thing, maybe thats the problem your having with yours, I recalibrate about every 30 measures, like weighing cases and such.Jay
Old 08-04-2003, 06:55 PM

Tim,
I have the LE-1000 by Lyman and it seems to work real well. If you want to bring your components to the match Saturday and stop by on the way home you can use it to load some up and see how it works for you.
Wayne
Old 08-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the offer Wayne, but I'm trying to get things ready to take to the Match on Saturday.

Problem at the moment is, I have no real idea of what my most accurate charge weighs. I can't even dump one, measure it and guess. I came home the other day ( right after I shot a 3.25" 800 yard group )to find the powder measure screwed most of the way in. ( don't you just love kids?)

Tried to sort bullets last night. Calibrated it and went to town. Pushing the zero button ever forth or fifth bullet. Must have got close to three hundred of them done. Got up this morning, recalibrated it and everything I tested weighed 1.3-1.7 grains less.

I want a new scale.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:13 PM

Tim,
Man, that sounds real frustrating! Wish you well in finding something that works for you.
See ya Saturday.
Wayne
Old 08-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Have you tried the "Factory Calibration" procedure for the scale? I called them once and they told me to try that.

The RCBS "Factory Calibration" procedure can be found at the following URL:
http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu...7&s2=18&s3=133

Those scales are temperature sensitive, RCBS said something about letting it warm up a bit before using it.

The other thing they said is don't let any wind blow on it, like a ceiling fan or AC vent blowing on the scale.

Doug

I have never compared mine to my balance beam scale. May be interesting ...
Old 08-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Doug, I've compared my 5-0-5 with my electronic, and she's right in there, I've read the same thing in my instructions that the factory recalibration is the best way, and I've done it so many times, I've got it memorized.

Tim, My RCBS scale (POWDERPRO) has a lifetime warranty, contact RCBS for shipping instructions. Thats what my manual says, anyway. Jay

[ 08-04-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]