Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

which Game camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: which Game camera

J E Custom, I have two Cuddebacks ( 195 each) and have 0 problems with them. Simple to operate, take great pictures. Pretty tough to. I've had cattle & elk rub on them set up at elk wallows. They run off 4 D-cells for up to 1,000 pictures on a set a batteries. You can also get a cuddeView (150 bucks) to enable you to view, and deleate, your pics in the field. No expierence with any of the other brands.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 AM

Re: which Game camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
JE

I bought two of the new Bushnell Trophy Cams with built in viewers for about $180 each from a place online in Iowa. (cannot remember the name now, when I find it will send to you). We used them on hunts in MO last month and worked extremely well.

Absolutely love them. super small, simple to use, quick to set up, fast shutter speed and best of all is that 6 AA batteries will last one year!

BH
I have 3 different trail cameras.

I have a moultrie D-40. VERY slow trigger and poor battery life.

My second cam is a scoutguard sg550. For the first year I loved this camera. It takes 8 AA has the infrared flash and a 1.3 second trigger time. I've changed batteries twice in a year, and they have never been dead when changed. I just didn't believe they could possibly still be working.

I say that I used to love it.. It is still a great camera. Then I bought the Bushnell Trophy cam. The internals are made by uway, the same people who manufacture the scoutguard sg550 internals. In fact the screen is identical. The main differences and reasons that I prefer the Bushnell are.

1) The scoutguard requires a wired remote to change setting on the camera or view battery level.
2) the Bushnell offers a 2 year warranty, scoutguard 1 year.
3) both cameras have amazing battery life and take 5MP Pictures.
4) both cameras shoot good video, programmable from (I think) 1-60 seconds.

I paid approx $100 for the moultrie and $200 for the Bushnell/scoutguard.

If you opperate them both continuous for a year as I do, you will save the difference in battery costs. I have not gotten the advertised 1 year on a set of batteries, however I have taken well over 4000 pictures without changing them.