Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

front rest vs Bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Bronze Member

front rest vs Bag

Hi, thanks again in advance, I have been shooting off a large bag in the front and a small one in the back, mostly off the bench and some in prone.

Have been thinking about getting a metal front rest like the sinclair , I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience with bags vs mech rest, mostly shoot steel at distance, and varmints but also would like to start shooting in some competitions, and was just wondering if they would make a significant difference in improved accuracy ? or worth the $

I am shooting a Savage LRP and will soon a have a custom rig with a wide for end. I
would appreciate any feedback

thanks Scott
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: front rest vs Bag

I purchased a Sinclair about 2 years ago. I am glad I did, much more stable for me than the old bag contraptions that we all start off with. If I had to do it again I would add the windage adjustment which I did not. It is expensive but I am very happy.

If you want to save some coin you could start with the Caldwell. You might be happy with it at 30 instead of 300 and I am sure you will find a use for it in the future if you decided to buy the Sinclair. I have used all of these and they all have their time and place. The little Caldwell will always have its place for varmints. Actually the little Caldwell may be better for varmints (easier to move around quickly). I have used it with a friend.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

I have used bags (some home made, some bought), rests of different types, and bi-pods, they all will allow accurate shooting but the bi-pods to me are the easiest to use off a bench. If a stock is too flimsy the best rests of any kind will not work well. I didn't like the tri-pod type front rests but that is probably just me. I use the bi-pod with a rabbit ears rear rest and these just work, but I have never shot competition and probably never will. I have shot sub.25" groups with all of these set-ups when I have the rifle and ammo that will do it. Use what fits you. I am tall and long armed and I like the extra height the bi-pod gives me at the shooting bench.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Bipod & rear bag works best for me...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for all the feedback,
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
Bipod & rear bag works best for me...
+1 on that
Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

For mobile shooting...I used to use a harris BR off the bench with a std protektor leather rear bag. But Ive switched to the Sinclair F-class bipod and a protekor 14BC.5.DS.D.BB( 3/8" double stitch) W/ HANDLE filled with heavy now....much more stable and no more muzzle hop thanks to the ski feet.,-

Now for dedicated BR shooting...I use a gussied up caldwell rock BR base with a 21st century top

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
front rest vs Bag-kgrhqr-qqfdtigwfujbrni-d09c-60_57.jpg   front rest vs Bag-sinclairfpod01.jpg