Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Front and rear rests:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Front and rear rests:

I want to improve my bench rest shooting. I've reached a point where I feel limited by sand bags, and rolled up jackets.

What adjustable rests are folks using? Which features are important?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Front and rear rests:

How goes it over there in Spokane?

Good idea to get a front rest/rear bag setup. Probably the best thing you can do to improve accuracy off the bench. I friend of mine has a very high end (and expensive) Sinclair rest with a high end rear bag. I have a cheap but quite adequate Caldwell rest and one of their rear bags. The Sinclair if fun to shoot off of with all the nice/fancy/smooth adjustments and such but the Caldwell is fine with just up and down and wins the bang for the buck contest. I've been able to shoot a some 1/4 MOA groups with that setup and I almost never break a bad shot- maybe once out of 50.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Most important thing is how the rifle rides on the rest, just like on the bags. It needs to SLIDE with the shot. Meet a couple of champion 600 and 1000 yard benchrest shooters. One of the most important things are their front and rear rest. Some have custom rests with special leather. All tailored to allow consistent slide from shot to shot.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I should probably qualify what I said about the Caldwell rest. I am not a bench rest shooter. I just want to take me out of the equation as much as I can to see what the rifle/load is doing. Once I get a good load, I go hunting. Were I into competitive shooting I probably would go for a high end rest. I have the Rock by Caldwell. Don't go cheaper than that model as they get too light. The Rock has spiked feet to hold it in place, has rubber feet to put under the spikes if needed, has an up/down wheel and a rod to indicate where the rifle goes back to for precise placement after every shot. I don't need more than those features for what I'm doing with it.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

A few gray days here, something you're likely familiar with. What us night shifters refer to as good sleeping weather!

Rear rests seem to get very little press. I see a couple on the bench rest sites, but they look like custom one of a kind things. So who's making a good quality rear leather bag?

When you say slide I presume you mean the rifle slides on fixed rests, or are there set ups in which rest its self slides a bit.

With the Caldwell are you using the smaller or larger of the 2 ? At 5.5 and 15.5 lbs do you think they work well with magnum sporter weights without rocking?

We passed in cyberspace, Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

The rifle slides on the rest front and rear. The rests themselves are stationary. The thing they are trying to avoid is the newbie error of having a rear sling stud setting in the rear bag causing inconsistent recoil movement of the rifle. That is an extreme example though.

Like Engineering101, I use a Caldwell front rest cause I am foremost a hunter. I do shoot with some LR competitive benchrest folks in a relaxed environment though. Just passing on some tips they give me.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Most of my rifles have 2 sling studs on the for end, and trying to avoid the 3 without something adjustable is a pain.

Thanks