Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions


Reply

FN SPR 1a 300wsm

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 15
FN SPR 1a 300wsm

Well I am new on the board but I have recently come into possession of two different but nice long range rifles and would like to share my knowledge onto others.
First is my Remington R5 milspec (donít know if it really is a milspec 5r barrel or just a remmy gimmy)
Out of box it is a typical remmy a nice crisp 92lb trigger but the fit and finish is nice considering the HS precision stock (dbl palm swell). Once I got the trigger adjusted I fired my..uhh break in day...with out of the box 150's and average 5shots in the 1/2-1moa range out to 300yards (did not care to try farther) finally got around to my first cleaning and the barrel was clean in around 2 patches almost no fouling to mention.
One week in my dies arrive and I start loading for 175smk's at 2300-2600 and end up finding it to like 2300-2500 ranges best (good enough for 800yard shots).
I get my load dialed in and my standard Remington is actually shooting standard 5 shot sub 1/2 moa I have shot a 5 shot 1/2" at 300yards..(92% luck 7% chance and 1% skill).
After about 100rounds is when accuracy will start to falter.. Weight all dressed up with 4-16x weaver is 12lbs
makes pleasant shooting with 175's. Overall I would recommend any entry level .308 shooter to find a R5 Remington.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 15
Re: FN SPR 1a 300wsm

Now for the Topic post on the FN SPR 1A 300wsm
McMillan A3 stock is so far one of my favorite prone stocks the comb is high enough to suit me fine without needing the adjustable cheek piece.The trigger is fair out of the box with mine breaking at 4lbs nice and crisp. Fit and finish is quite nice with only thing being that annoying slight crookedness of the barrel in the channel (Still WELLLLLLL free floated) action is smooth with the claw extractor. Overall weight dressed with nikon 3.5-10 mildot is 15 1/2lbs so it makes shooting big loads feel like a meager .308win. Accuracy out of the box was disappointing and quite honestly made me wanna cry till I realized I had forgot to tighten my front scope ring then with 180gr SGK's (stupid me did not read the box at cabelas and grabbed what should have been SMKs but instead was a box of game kings.)Now with all the err little stuff out of the way with re-19 I am seeing 5 shots in the 1/4-1/2moa range with me jerking the trigger like a ninny.The rifle coming with a 20moa rail is nice the maker is unknown but quality is upscale. FN packages a test target with logbook so check that out if you run across one. The chamber is cut beautifullly on these rifles matched up to a long magazine on them (OAL of 3" compared to recommended COAL of 2.8") so I think I might try some big VLD's to compliment the 1:10 barrel which cleans nicely btw. Reliability testing is yet to come. 300wsm rocks btw.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: FN SPR 1a 300wsm
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wts/wtt 300wsm wfjames Guns For Sale 9 10-14-2010 07:31 PM
7-300wsm 65joe Reloading 6 06-30-2010 03:20 PM
7mm wsm 300wsm TOP_PREDATOR Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 06-22-2010 09:23 AM
WTS Win Mod 70 SS 300WSM snpr700 Guns For Sale 0 02-05-2010 12:33 AM
.270 WSM v .300WSM COBrad Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 18 10-28-2004 10:25 PM

Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.99%
1,546 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.14%
1,912 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.03%
1,370 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.04%
597 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.92%
233 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.89%
291 Votes
Total Votes: 5,949
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC