Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

First Live 338 AM Rounds Down Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 04:11 PM
SPONSOR

First Live 338 AM Rounds Down Range

Well, we took her out last night and fired a grand total of 8 rounds, cleaning after every two. We just wanted to get a feel for her and find our pressure limit. Right now we are going to try 140 gr of H50BMG under the 300 SMK.

Here are a few pics of the rifle on the bench (which is still under construction):

Since I loaded all the ammo, I was up first. I must admit that I was a bit curious as to what it would be like to touch off 140 gr of powder. I placed the scope on a target we had place down close to the bottom of our target board. I then tapped the trigger. The gun let out a massive belch of air and hot gas.

Everyone else said the consussion was unbelievable, but to me it seemed very mild. I guess the 40" bbl gets the blast far away that it tames it a bit. It honesltly was more comfortable to shoot than my 30" bbl 270 AM. The recoil was nothing. The gun simply rolled back about 4-5".

We were about 9" high @ 100 yds and seeing as how we have no more down adj. that is where we left her. We then moved out to 500 yds and determined that we were about 15" high. I watched Lerch's first shot and the trace was unbelievable!! I've never seen a trace so clearly. I've also never seen a trace while shooting @ a 500 yd target that appeared to be still rising!!! This thing shoots flat as a laser!!!

We decided to work on the gong @ 500 yds w/the last 4 rounds. It is a 3/8" plate attached to a T post w/a piece of pipe. Here are the results:

Front side

back side:

She's kinda hard on our steel targets!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
SPONSOR

Re: First Live 338 AM Rounds Down Range

HA HA HA BJ NEEDS A HIGH CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
SPONSOR

The bench is kinda given us fits as you can see from our grouping. We will get her ironed out this next week and then we can really get to work. The thwack this sucker makes on steel if freaking awesome!!!!!!!

The trace that was visable in the swaro spotter was amazing and even better there was no arc in the trace, laser flat!!!!

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Fantastic [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I like your color combination on the stock. Good choice. Proportion wise it looks kinda deceiving given the massive size of the whole gun. Components work well together and it looks like the down range performance is pretty good also. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Looks like you guys had better go out and find some AR500 or at least back off 1000 + yards for your steel shooting. At least there won't be any arguments as to who's gun put the hole in the steel.

I'd say you guys have a winner!!! Keep us posted on the upcoming bullet launches and also let us know what you think of the scope mount.

It was a long wait but it looks like the fun is about to start. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Congratulations to both of you guys on a beautiful gun.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

I want one!!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

That is an impressive barrel. It is hard to really grasp just how big it is.

I see the little one is doing well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wildcat