Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Finally got lucky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Finally got lucky

I always read about guys who buy new factory rifles that shoot groups so small that they rival some of my custom rigs. I was a bit skeptical to hear from the shooters who claimed to get .5 moa from a factory rifle, but who knows?

In my experience, a factory rifle usually shoots 1 - 1.5 MOA and considering how inexpensiove a factory rifle is,that ain't bad. I often wonder how the big companies can manufacture a receiver, a barrel, a stock & a trigger and then make it all work together for what they charge.

Well, I finally got a chance to shoot my new 700 LSS, 300 RUM from the bench today. I picked a load at random (87.0gr H1000 behind a 200gr SMK @ .015" off rifling) and fired 1 round into the embankment to foul the cleaned bore. Then I fired 3 shots at the 2" orange dot from my bench which is 200yds away.

Leaned over to take a peek through my spotting scope and noticed 3 holes in a perfect triangle. They measured 1.125". Not bad for 200yds, I thought. Shot 3 more and they measured 1.00" exactly.

The only change to this rifle was a reworked trigger. When I originally removed the barreled action from the stock I noticed that there wasn't a spec of bedding componnd anywhere. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I expected this big magnum to shoot 3-4" or more @ the 200yd line.

Although I couldn't be happier with the results, I was expecting to have to at least bed the rifle and lap the lugs. I was also ready to drop on a custom barrel if it was necessary.

For now, I don't think I'll do anything except shoot it. Boy did I get lucky with this rifle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Finally got lucky

Varmint Hunter,
From my own experience with my 700 LSS 300 RUM and what I have heard and read, there is a trend of high consistency in accuracy with the 700 LSS 300 RUM. My first 3 shots group at 100 yards with factory ammo grouped less than 0.2", there was a guy at the rifle range that I had previously talked to, and asked him to sign the target as a witness and he did... I wish I knew where that target is... then I went home and did some reloading 0.050 away from the lands, went back to the range and... 0.169 " 3 shots using Barnes triple shock. This last group was smaller but not by much!
Happy for you, enjoy that rifle, good luck!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Take the money and run.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

GEEEEZ Eaglet - You've got to have the best shooting factory stick that i"ve ever heard of. I 'd offer to trade so we can see if you could do it again with my rifle, but mine is for southpaws. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Good shootin'
Old 05-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Well my LSS 300 RUM was very accurate back in its prime days of barrel life. It would shoot 4" groups at 800 yards off the bench. It would also do .5" at 100 yards. All I had done was trigger work and glass bed. I bought my dad one a year later, all thats done is trigger work. At best its a .75 rifle, more like MOA, but with factory thats still ok I guess. My winchester 25-06 has shot a .043" 3 shot group and its only got trigger work. It will easily shoot .3-.4" at 100 yards. My rem adl .222 rem is also factory with nothign more then a trigger job and it will shoot under .25" at 100 yards, have several groups in the low .1's. I think my factory rifles shoot ok, but I still wish I had something with a custom barrel.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

VH,
I'm getting close to be 52 y/o, I have only been able to afford factory rifles since my youth, have never had a rifle this accurate before. Now my groups are getting larger but I figure it's getting close to 500 rounds through it and I'm just not getting younger. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I want to assure you I'm not good enough to consistantly do that kind of shooting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
If I clean it every 10 rounds, it'll be consistant to right around 1/2". GG once told me what to do to get the barrel smoother and I have just not gotten to it.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

VH,

Congratulations on your M700 LSS 300 RUM, she is a keeper.
I also have a M700 LSS in 338 RUM. My best group with the 210 gr PT is 1.285" @ 300 yds. The scope is a VXIII 2.5x8.

Regards,

JD338