Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Field rests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Field rests

We all have to rest our rifles when we make long shots. Harris bipods and a rear sandbag do a great job for many styles of hunting and types of rifles, particularly prone shots.
There are some hunts where Harris's are a little too cumbersome, catching on vegetation or just not high enough.
I have been shooting off Underwood shooting sticks for several years and consider them a great tool. Light, quick to setup, very reliable. Stoney Point makes a similar set of sticks.
Recently I started carrying a Stoney Point telescoping bipod called a Polecat, and the more I use it the more I like it. The Polecat is a little bigger and bulkier than the sticks but it will also do more. I really like it for sitting shots, where vegetation eliminates prone shooting. It is extremely sturdy, quick to adjust and useable as a walking staff. The ultimate set-up is to put the Polecat on a 25-45 degree angle under the forend and a set of sticks angled in the opposite direction under the buttstock. I can take my hands right off the rifle and it does not move at all.
Alternately I found that if I can get my back against a tree or brush I don't need the buttstock rest. I like to take an analytical look at the crosshair movement when I set up on these field rests - the Polecat is allowing a very steady hold from the sitting position - virtually no movement at 100-200 yards if you do your part. We are making hits on large
Polecats and sticks are not for extreme range but I have found them to be good hunting tools for out to 600 yards for my rifles and ability.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Field rests

Great idea. Here is another taken in part from the US military. Use a camera tripod.

A front rest bag is put on a mount that attaches to the tripod. The rear of the rifle can also have a monopod type rest or held by you. With this setup, you are supported about 90% the same as off a bench. Elevation and shooting direction can be quickly, easily and quietly changed and locked. I feel this is more stable then shooting sticks.

Great for grassy or uneven terrain. A little bulky but if you are on post over a clear cut or similar, you will need additional equipment anyways so the tripod is not that big of a hassle.

Mid height ones are perfect for seated shooting. Fill the front bag with poly beans and the weight is very little.

Give it a try. May work well for you...

Jerry
Old 11-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Field rests

There is an article in one of last fall's "Accurate Rifle" that shows using a tripod as Jerry speaks to for a front rest and using Stoney Point Shooting Stix for a rear rest. It allowed one to be very mobile and shoot from a small, lite shooting stool.

The author remarked it worked great and had some pix of the set up. It is something I have yet to try, but idea looks real good.

Nodak7mm

Member #92