Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Encore Pro Hunter , just a heads up !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Encore Pro Hunter , just a heads up !!

I have worked on 4 of these guns in the last month and I have to say that I've very dissapointed with the QC from Thompson Center with these new "up graded" guns.

All of these gun have had trigger weights in the 8-11lb range !!! with so much creep that is very rough its awfull and only one of the guns had the trigger guard threaded for the over travel screw , all the internal trigger parts have very large casting marks..
All of the frames have the hinge pin holes reamed way over sized , so much so that the Bellm 1x pin will slide right through and fall out and the 2x pin requires very little pressure to push in and when the hole is measured its out of round.
One of the guns is a member heres 12ga slug gun , this barrel has no sites and is drilled and tapped for a scope base , the trouble is that the barrel is so damn thin that you only get 4 threads from a 6-48 screw to hold the base on and when the cheap crappy scope base screws that come with it were swapped out for better torx head screws the threads pulled out when they were tighted with 3 fingers from a screwdriver !!! So now the base has to be bedded and glued to the barrel , any machinest should know better than that and said somthing about maybe soldering the base to the barrel or not offering it in 12ga or somthing !!

Its taking so long to stone the triggers down on these things that I'm basicaly doing it for free , I'm not gonna go up on my prices cause TC is shipping out junk but I should send them a bill for componsation just to see what they would say.

In my oppinion you are better off getting an older gun and just installing a Sim's recoil pad , the off set hammer isin't worth the trouble

I just figured that I would let anybody that thinking about getting one of these what kind of troubles I'm finding with them.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Bronze Member

James thanks for the heads up! I have been really considering one of these for the last few months. But have not had the chance to handle one yet.
I really like the idea of switching from shotgun to rifle and all that jazz. Just a neat little camp rifle for the cabin.

But now I have my doubts...Maybe I will look for an older one...

Their website makes them look so nice. sheesh

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

my prohunter pistol had a trigger that was just over 7 pounds and alot of creep . but it did have the over travel stop . i sent it to stratton custom he did a 1 pound trigger night and day is all can say

and well i was at it i got a rifle SS frame from him and had him do a 2 1/2 #
trigger before he sent to my FFL guy. but it does not have the the over travel
screw on it

JIM
Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

I have an old stainless frame with a good trigger. Are the 28" Pro Hunter tubes any good, I was thinking about getting a 270 & seeing what it would do?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

I have only shot one of the new Prohunter barrels and it was a 308 that had been rechambered to 300Win mag and it shot very well , consistantly under 1moa with fartory ammo and down around the 1/2moa with handloads.
The barrel has a Tubbs final finish kit run through it before it was rechambered to 300 win.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

WOW! How lucky am I. My ProHunter .300WM after bringing the trigger to 1 1/2 Lbs and 2X pin, shoots fine. This one also sports a brake since my wife hunts antelope with it. A friend has his rechambered to .257 WbyMag with the same work sans brake. Both guns stay at .5/.6 and are fun to shoot. I'm seeing another in my future since the wife has pretty much taken possession.

Understanding that these are only two compared to the many you have dealt with.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Gold Member

A 28" 257Wea. would be neat if it would shoot.