Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Electronic Powder dispense/scale combos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Electronic Powder dispense/scale combos

Unfortunately, I have one of the original Lyman DPS units. They now have a DPS II unit out,which I understand fixes a lot of the issues I have had. I bought my scale 2 years ago, and got one of the ones that has some of the same problems that others online have complained about (do a google search for 'Lyman DPS forum problems'). Keypad sometimes doesn't work, won't recalibrate (have to turn the unit off and back on), I emailed Lyman customer service 6 months ago on whether the repairs would be covered under warranty (the unit only has a one year warranty - I was six months out of warranty) Lyman replied 'send the unit in', not telling me one way or the other..... I would stick with the RCBS, better warranty by far for only a little more $$. Wish I had waited for the RCBS chargemaster....

EZ Shooter
Old 02-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

EZ Shooter, I had the same problems then the keyboard finally quit. I sent it in and they replaced the whole unit with a new one. I was hoping they would give me the DPS II but no luck. I subsquently sold it on eBay for almost two hundred so I got an RCBS now!!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Bronze Member

The new Pact High Speed dispenser and scale combo are suposed to be good according to the write ups. I have not talked to an owner about it yet though. It goes for $253 at Midway. Has anyone else heard about it?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have newest RCBS model that I got about 6 months ago. I have checked it for accuracy several times against my old RCBS balance beam scales and digital scale. It is right on every time.

I enjoy my loading time much more as the automatic scale/dispense takes the tedium out of trickling powder to get my charges just right. I punch the "dispense" button, then turn to my press and seat a bullet. Just about the time I finish that.......the next powder charge is ready. I find it saves me a lot of time. Don't know why I waited so long to buy one!

[/ QUOTE ]I agree word for word.
UB
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

I've use the PACT system for three years. Started with the old unit and sent it in to be updated to the higher speed. Easy to calibrate and easily holds 1/10 gr or less in accuracy. VERY FAST. If you dump a load and restart, it is usually done by the time I seat my round. Would highly recommend. Not sensitive to air movement like some, and does not require a long warm up to stabilize! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Sam Spade.

Was your unit still in warranty then? Or did they go ahead and fix yours anyway? I didn't send mine in cause I couldn't tell if I was going to get a bill for it (and mine still works, albeit not how it is supposed too - still, I know that any day now it will stop working....). Thanks for the reply.

EZ
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Mine was out of warranty but they didn't even ask! They just told me to send it in, apparently they know the first ones had a problem??