Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Dream portable shooting bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dream portable shooting bench

I changed the top on mine opting for a table big enough to use a rest. Another thing we did was add a umbrella hanger that fits under the seat using the seat pin for attachment and is adjustable for height. It does not work in high winds, but can be great on sweltering days.

I hope you post some pics of your projects as you progress.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devins View Post
Well I put together the first prototype and it functioned very well. I have pictures but am unable to get them to upload. I followed the directions and I still get the red x and in the editors view the address is there for the URL. I will keep trying. But so far I am pleased with the design and we shot yesterday afternoon in a high wind, 30 mph plus,and could get pretty steady. I will want to clean up on the design a little and finish paint and this one is ready to copy. I will attempt pictures again later when I have some time.
Well, you must of done something right, I cant really use mine if the wind gets over 15 mph, especially if it's gusty. Just moves too much. Good luck, hopefully the picture thing starts working for you. "Direct Link" is the one I copy and paste? Seems to work most of the time.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

shooting benches are alot like guns and fishing rods.
one size wont fit all occaisions. the quest for the ultimate will never end.
i prefer to kneel next to the bench rather than use a stool.
thats a personal thing and others use a bucket or stool while using my bench.
my way uneven terrain dosent cause me problems. it also makes for a lower table which usually means more stable. a scrap of carpet offers enough padding for the knees.
4 adjustable legs make the most sturdy setup.
heavy wall aluminum electrical conduit makes great legs.
my portable bench has a single thickness 5/8 plywood top 24"x36"
under that is an 1 1/2" aluminun angle iorn rectangle about 20"x32"
aluminum conduit couplings are welded at slight outward angles in the 4 corners of the angle iorn rectangle.
there is also a thin aluminum triangle in each corner under the couplings. that adds more ridgity to the table and aids in welding the couplings.
the plywood can be screwed to the angle iorn from below, or thru bolted with small nuts and bolts and counter sunk slightly into the plywood.
when not in use, i attach the threaded top removable legs under the plywood top with an aluminum strap and wing nuts onto 1/4" bolts thru the top.
the whole thing weighs less than 20 lb. and is very compact. i carry it with a rifle sling attached with swivels to the angle iorn.

the legs require 2 sizes of aluminum conduit. it comes in 10' legnths so measure carefully so as not to need an extra pc.
it needs to be purchased at a real electrical supply house.
not one of the blue or orange warehouses.
conduit is pipe and pipe is measured i d not o d.
mine is 1 1/4" outside leg, and 1" inside leg.
make sure the small size slides in the large one before leaving the store.
buy the four 1 1/4" couplings there also.
they might be willing to turn the threads on the 4 pcs of outer leg. i would ask.
if not you need a pipe threader to do it.
for the leg adjuster, weld a 3/4" square pc. of 3/4" thick aluminum on each outside leg about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom. drill thru everything and tap it 1/4x20 at least. 5/16" or 3/8" would be better.
then run in a pc. of all thread and leave enough to bend at a 90 deg. before cutting. a bolt with a cross pc. welded on works well also.
mine is about 30 years old. i just replaced the plywood this year for looks more than function.
i have 2 other benches, both larger and heavier.
this one gets the most use by far and it fits very nicely inside my jeep wrangler.
there is one thing im considering. last year i hunted prairie dogs for the first time ever.
the shooting covered about a 180 deg. radius. i was moving the table to get lined up frequently.
im going to attach a 36" round top with a few small bolts on top of the existing.
that way no moving the table. when finished ill just remove it.
prairie dog hunters take heed. a round top would be better.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...rojects025.jpgOk I am trying the photos again. Well you can at least follow the link and get a view of what we ended up with this first try. We went to Africa and have not been working on this project for a few weeks. I will eventually get pics where you can see all angles and how we mounted the flanges to attach the front legs at an angle, and it was very simple and works very well. Micci is shooting slightly down hill and demonstrating a front rest but bags would have probably fit more comfortable in this situation. It was her first time to try that particular rest.

What I have learned is that the two additional legs out front make a world of difference in stability and also help in leveling. I did not plan it that way but what ends up happening is the three feet for the center post give you stability for your seated position and create one leg for the top and then when you put the other two legs down you in essence creat a tripod effect for the top and can also level the top as well as stabilize it. We were in a slight breeze for Western Oklahoma (15 mph or so) and we were able to have fun out to 200 yards with out much trouble, at least from the bench. And we were on an unprotected flat.

What I will do differently: I will not forget to let the seat support pivot up and pin in up or down position. I will use 5/16 rather than 1/4 pins(the lady in the picture, her husband needs to lose a little weight and in some of the pictures in the shop that is my Dad and he did not bend the pins), I want to get teflon sheeting to line the tubing of the seat support to allow it to swivel around the center point more easily. The weight is heavy enough that if I were carrying it in very far I would probably put it on a cart or two wheeled dolly.

Last edited by devins; 04-25-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Picture did not copy
Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

This is the one I built. It is very solid with almost no movement and easy to build and cost about $125.00.

Built a new portable shooting bench. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

My new set up for 1,000 yds. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Bronze Member

SBruce, that is a good looking buck. I try the direct link and the only thing I can figure out is all of my security is blocking me somehow. I got the one picture to give the link and then tried it for others and went right back to the same problem. Thanks for the imput and I will keep trying. And I hope to get a better bench done soon. And I like the light weight conduit idea Yobuck had for my front two legs if I can get a simple flange to fit there too.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...rojects012.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...rojects026.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...jects018-1.jpg
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...rojects016.jpg
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

I like that Joseph. I can see where you would have stability and the ability to level.