Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Does your bolt drag? Here is a possible easy fix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Does your bolt drag? Here is a possible easy fix.

I recently replaced the scope on one of my rifles, but had inadvertently switched the two screws (one long, one short) that tie down the front Leupold scope mount. The longer screw was only a few thousandths of an inch longer than the short screw hole (that was supposed to hold the short screw), but just long enough to barely contact the lugs, causing a drag on the bolt that appeared about half-way on the down-stroke. I was going to take it to the gunsmith, until I did some thinking about why the problem had suddenly started, and realized it must have had something to do with the way I mounted the scope. After I switched the screws to their proper holes, the problem disappeared.

I had not noticed the problem right away because I had just replaced the scope, put the rifle away, and had not worked the bolt until a couple of months later. It had not occurred to me right away that the problem might have been related to the scope base mounting screws.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Does your bolt drag? Here is a possible easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofycat View Post
I recently replaced the scope on one of my rifles, but had inadvertently switched the two screws (one long, one short) that tie down the front Leupold scope mount. The longer screw was only a few thousandths of an inch longer than the short screw hole (that was supposed to hold the short screw), but just long enough to barely contact the lugs, causing a drag on the bolt that appeared about half-way on the down-stroke. I was going to take it to the gunsmith, until I did some thinking about why the problem had suddenly started, and realized it must have had something to do with the way I mounted the scope. After I switched the screws to their proper holes, the problem disappeared.

I had not noticed the problem right away because I had just replaced the scope, put the rifle away, and had not worked the bolt until a couple of months later. It had not occurred to me right away that the problem might have been related to the scope base mounting screws.
This is common and we all have done it. now some of the newer bases have the same size
and length screws so this doesn't happen.

Also some times after a long period of time a wooden stock or one without pillars will compress
enough for the front action screw to interfere with the bolt lugs causing them to drag or
become inoperative.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: Does your bolt drag? Here is a possible easy fix.

Yap!
happened with me 2 years ago.
I just installed for my friend a new set of rings and I did not payed attention to the length of the screws.
Drove 60 km to the range and nothing! no signs on the primer at all.
So we remove all the screws from the base and reinstalled them by length and PROBLEM SOLVED.