Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Do I hurt my barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 08:57 AM

Do I hurt my barrel?

Hey everyone, I am new here and not nearly as technical as you guys are, but would like some information.

I have a year and a half old rifle that I have always cleaned by running a wet copper brush in and out of it and then running 3-4 wet pads through, then a couple of dry ones until it looks clean.

After reading your guy's posts you have to just cringe at that. My question is, how bad have I messed up? I only want to shoot coyotes and such with this gun, but I do enjoy seeing how good of groups I can get at long ranges (by long range, I mean 400-500 yards with a .223). Did I mess this barrel up enough to have to buy a new one?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Do I hurt my barrel?

How does it shoot? If it shoots ok, then you are doing just fine. There is lots of different cleaning styles and method. As long as accuracy is retained, just doesn't matter how you get there.

Bronze/brass brushes are way softer then the barrel steel. Almost impossible for the brush to damage the rifling. If using commercial stuff, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just shoot and enjoy your rifle. The rifle will let you know when its time for a new barrel.

Jerry
Old 02-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

That's exactly how it's done. What is your question again?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 PM

If it works, don't fix it! Seriously, I've seen a lot of folks; who over clean their barrel, and then require foul shots to bring it back to past performance. Overkill on anything just means one thing (WORK) that could be used more efficiently elsewhere. Key factors that dictate how often and how much you should clean your barrel, are past & present performance, velocity changes, and just how many pills you've put down the tube since your last cleaning. I know folks; who strip down to bare metal, and folks; who do lighter routine cleanings after a trip to the range. Bottom line is: How's it shooting? If it continues to shoot consistant groups and velocities, then you must be doing something right! Oh... by the way.. Welcome!