Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Discreet bags for Rifle Cases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Gold Member

Discreet bags for Rifle Cases?

Been looking for something to cover a rifle case for travel so that it doesn't telegraph 'GUN' to all around.

Simplest solution would seem to be finding a ready made bag (such as a snowboard bag) that is big enough to hold a rifle hard case.

Anyone been down this route already?
Old 06-27-2004, 03:49 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Discreet bags for Rifle Cases?

If the case is something like a Pelican hardcase (that does not scream gun anyway) you can put 'fragile' stickers on it and 'handle with care surveying equipment' stickers on it. As a surveyors thedolite case is similarish in size.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Brown Dog

Best discreet case is hard plastic lockable golf bag carrier. Can put 3-4 guns in soft cases and does not look like gun case. Cost is under $100 and just as durable as most gun cases.

Check with airlines first about multiple guns in same case and will need extra insurance.

BH
Old 06-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

BountyHunter

Just done a websearch; yours is an outstanding idea. Thank you very much!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Bronze Member

Gents,

Forgive me but you need to think like a thief. The issue is not that guns get stolen but that valuables get stolen.

Golf clubs are probably more attractive to a thief as they are easier to fence. Likewise surveying equipment, skis etc.

I would stick with a cordura cover over your guncase -
Old 06-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Brown Dog
You hit it on the head a cover is the way to go. If you are talking about air travel? Your rifles are checked through a secutrity area. Once inspected the case is closed, this is the time to put little locks on the case even duct tape around the case and locks and put the case into a bag. If there is corruption in the airport you cant stop theft. Most theft occurs with unsecured bags having small items removed. In most cases a secure case that cant be easily opened by a thief will be passed up (locks tape outer bag) I'd worry more about a quality case first.
PS dont fly through England you have a better chance of having your guns delayed then stolen!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Gold Member

Good observation, however my issue is less the theft deterrence idea; it's one of shaping the perception of fellow travellers. I always feel ridiculously self conscious when 'out and about' carrying something that obviously contains a firearm; I'd far rather blend into the crowd.