Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Dillon Press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Dillon Press

i have the lnl press because it was a good deal. I have used a xl650. my next one will be a 650. IMO its like comparing a yugo to a caddy.

I may be wrong but I have noticed the lnl is cheaper to get into but more expensive on the back end (primer pickup tubes, parts etc) and the opposite for the dillon.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Once you drink the blue coolaid you'll never be the same.
+1 for the Dillon 550 or 650

Speedy.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks. it seems the Dillon is the only choice and I will wait and purchase it one part at a time.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

I have an XL 650. I researched them pretty good before I purchased. Here were my thoughts and why I bought what I did.

*Dillon warranty is awesome. Lifetime and even if you buy used. No BS no questions asked and they even say that.

*Highly recommended by all users I ever talked to that own a Dillon.

*The 550 is a ton easier to set up and get going, but once the 650 is set and running it has a lot of time saving steps. I figured the time and extra money for the 650 was well spent for a few calibers I will likely load forever.

*With the warranty Dillon offers, I looked for a used complete unit with some spare parts and upgrades. If every part has a lifetime warranty, why not?

Jeff
Old 05-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Over twenty years ago I built some furniture for my brother-in-law in exchange for a pair of Dillon 550 and Square Deal presses. These were heavily used by him before the exchange, and I've since loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on each. I contacted Dillon when I first received the presses and upgraded and replaced several parts...all for free even though I was NOT the original owner. Then again this Spring I replaced a couple of worn parts on the Square Deal. Again all free...I wasn't even charged for shipping. If I could have only one press it would be the 550 (now 550B) The auto indexing is a nice feature when loading up several hundred pistol rounds on the Square Deal, but frankly, on the rare occasion when I've messed up loading a round (like setting the bullet on the case REALLY crooked) the time to backup the auto indexed cases and re-do everything is more trouble than the auto-indexing saves. I also use the 550 to load my 1000 yard benchrest ammo. It does a fine job of that if you take a couple extra steps.
1) I only work with one station at a time
2) I resize and decap the primer, then remove and manually clean the flash hole.
3) The prepped case is re-inserted into station 1 and the new primer is pushed in. Because of the lever-arm created by the rotating baseplate, I rotate the case and reseat the primer several times to insure that it is truly flat in the flash hole.
3) I dump a load of powder from station 2 into a dummy case and trickle the charge to the desired amount on a digital scale. When correct, it is dumped into the competition case.
NOTE: The Dillon powder funnel does a great job with all powders. With flake or ball I've never had a problem and it ALWAYS dumps within +/- 0.1 grains. With my 1000 benchrest gun dumping RL22 or H1000, it typically is within +/- 0.4 grains. I'm many times faster using this method than my friends using the automated Hornady powder tricklers.
ColoYooper
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

Been needing a press too, reading imputs from many. I ordered a Forster, it's said to be more accurate. I have a few different calibers but want the ammo accurate. With my disability the dual plunger pull is easier to pull I read. I will order their dies when money gets better. I have only partial Redding dies so should sell them I guess or trade for Forster dies?