Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Which digital scale??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which digital scale??

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"I was looking into getting a digital scale..."

Why? At their best, digital scales are no more accurate than a beam and rarely "faster" in any significant way. But they DO introduce a LOT of potential for error; zero drift, calibration drift, electracle interference, etc.

In my humble opion, the only significant way to use a digital powder scale is when it's an intergral part of a powder despensing system. And then they are only a little faster than a skilled loader with a conventional powder measure, a good dribbler and a scale.
I am sorry but must disagree with you on this 100%. All of my ammo (competition for 1K and hunting) is loaded with a digital scale in fact the RCBS Chargemaster System. Also use a Denver Instruments scale just to make sure everything stays perfect. On competition ammunition I weigh it out first with the Chargemaster and then verify on the DI scale. Yes that is a little overkill but on my competition stuff it makes me feel better about it.

Flawless performance that is significantly faster than the old balance beam scales which I used for 25 years. You do have a point about the electrical interference but that is easily solved by using an outlet that has no florescent lights or other noisy equipment on it. Also let the scale warm up for 15 minutes before you start.