Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Defensive Edge Custom Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Defensive Edge Custom Rifle

The rifle in the picture is a 6.5 06 That was built for me by Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. I have been wanting a rifle for long range Varmint and deer for several years and after a long conversation with Shawn this is what he built for me.. The base rifle is a Remington 700 that had the action squared and trued. The bolt had a Sako type extractor installed along with a second ejector. The bolt was fit to the reciever so the lugs have full contact. The barrel is a Hart 27" fluted stainless steel. Shawn fit the bolt face to the barrel and chambered and threaded it. Between the barrel and the reciever is a Tubb heavy recoil lug. Shawn built the muzzle brake and installed it. The trigger is a stock Remington trigger that is set at 2.75 pounds with no take up or overtravel. The stock is an HS Precision with the HS box mag. The rings and bases are from Night Force. The base is a 20 MOA unit and the rings are Ultra Lights. The scope is a Leupold 6.5x20 long range tactical with .25 MOA knobs and a side focus. The initial shooting was done in the rain and at 300 yards the gun shot a .75" group with Hornady 140gr A Max at 2980 fps. The gun was then finished in a teflon moly. I will be shootin the gun this upcoming weekend and will post results then. I would recommend Shawn at Defensive Edge with out hesitation to anyone wanting to get a long range rifle built.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Defensive Edge Custom Rifle

Awsome looking rifle dude. Good job Shawn. I dont know about your screen name though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 01-01-2006, 08:23 PM

I am a Glock armorer and was a coauthor on The Complete Glock Reference Guide and was given that name by friends. Real name is Don.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Very distintive gun.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

GlockGuy:

Beautiful rifle and again, it's typical of Shawn's work. Beautiful combination of components and everything works. Congratulations of having such a fine rifle and a shooter to boot, but I don't know of one of Shawn's that isn't a shooter. I also see you have the right accessories to go along with it. Top notch equipment. Now you just need the weather to co-operate and put some rounds down range.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Nice rifle, congratulations to you as owner and Shawn as builder.
what´s the barrel contour?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn Carlock means quality. That goes without saying. I think he should change his screen name to 3/4@300 since that seems to be the trademark group we hear about with his guns and loads.

He is one of the smiths I have on a very short list that I would love to have a gun built by during this lifetime.

The color scheme is exactly what I would love to have on a LR hunting / tactical shooter.