Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Custom Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Custom Hunting Rifle

I've decided to take the plunge and start selling a few guns and build one really nice one. This will be a hunting rig, not a benchrest baby, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on claw extractor vs standard extractor is for reliability in the field. This won't be a dangerous game rig, so it's not that I won't consider other options, but I don't see many claw-type extractor rifles winning any shooting competitions either. Which way would you go for a hunting rig?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Have it fitted with a Sako or M-16 style extractor and have the best of both worlds.

What action are you gonna use?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

I've been rolling around the idea of a Win 54 or Montana Rifleman M1999 if I go with the claw, or a custom action if I go otherwise. Right now the action seems to be the biggest undecided component.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Me personaly , I don't see the need for a claw extractor except maybe for a dangerous game gun and thats still a maybe. A properly installed Sako extractor or M-16 extractor will reliably and effectivly remove your cases and they feed very well , the exception I have seen was with realy short fat cases like the 6mmBR with short bullets where the round wanted to jump out before the bullet was headed into the chamber.

Wit your action choices I assume that this is gonna be a hunting gun? I'd look realy hard at the Borden , Stiller and Lawton actions before i dropped money on a factroy action that had to be trued up and from the 4 people that I've talked to that built on Montana actions they had to be trued first.

Savage makes a controle round feed action that works very well , its just a differant bolt head that has the bottom cut out and uses a mechanical ejector
Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

What above Ed Browns Model 704 action? It's a different controlled round feed action, it maybe a little easier to true than a mauser style. Anyone have experience with these or more information?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
SPONSOR

For a hunting rifle other than dangerous game the claw extractor really isn't all that necesary. More people build on a Remington action than any other and there's a reason for that. They're a good solid action with lots of aftermarket parts avaible and it's reasonably inexpensive. There are several custom actions too such as the Stiller, Borden, Lawton, Pierce, BAT any many more that are also a very good platform to begin the build with.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Heed the advise Montour has given you.
Before you drop a butt load of $$ into a Win or Rem action having them blueprinted I would like to suggest that you take a look at Stillers Precision Firearms click on "ACTIONS" and look at the hunting actions, in particular the Predator and Tac actions. Why not buy one that is done and ready to go?
FWIW, I have no $$ interest in the company I have provided a link to. There are several others that make drop in replacements for the M700 inletted stocks. Add a high quality recoil lug and a trigger and you are good to go.
Just my 2 bits,

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member