Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Cosine Indicator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cosine Indicator

http://www.snipertools.com/aci.htm
Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the link Keith, should be on the Badger site also.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:00 PM

Angle Cosine Indicator
82nd Airborn Division

"During a recent deployment to Afghanistan, my unit and I had the opportunity to use the Angle Cosine Indicator during training and combat operations. The ACI proved itself invaluable in the mountainous terrain, which we operated in, and was head and shoulders above other angle indicators we used in the past for ease of use, durability, and accuracy. I have recommended the ACI to friends who are going into harm's way, because I know it won't let them down."

"SSG, 82nd Airborne Division
Old 10-31-2003, 05:09 PM

I didn't like it on my scope so I bought a Red Dot scope and mounted it on the side. I carry it with the rest of my optics and just use it a seperate device.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:52 AM

SPECIFICS. The ACI is an excellent tool for the tactical shooter. It provides the shooter with the cosine, which he can multiply against the estimated range to target in order to arrive at the "gravity" range, which in turn is indexed or otherwise compensated for.

- CW3 - 1st SF, Ft. Lewis, Washington
Old 11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Looking at this a while back, I compared the drop at various ranges and angles and found that using the cosine to reduce range didn't match the drop all my programs predicted for shooting at that angle.

I don't have an example on hand but in other words, a shot at 1000 yards at 30 degrees indicated xxx amount of drop, but when compared to the range the cosine said I should use to determine drop, it was very, very different. So, now I'm wondering which one is the more accurate prediction, as I've not done much in the way of angle shooting to verify either one at this point. My palm program works with angles and I'm wondering if it's predictions are BS now.

I did shoot at a bear a while back and the angle was about 25 degrees and 450 yds if I remember right, the program seemed very accurate, although I missed the bear on the long shot but got him on a short one an hour later.

Wondering why I missed the bear, with the same scope settings, I fired and did hit a 6-8" rock 8-10 times in a row afterward right next to where I shot the bear.

If Badger has the mount on their site, I can't find it. I'll call and order one.

I'd like to get some feedback on which one I'm going to have the best results with, either the angle or the cosine... I know one outfit offers both. I do like Badgers mount best tho.

Here's one place that has the angle type indicator. http://www.horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=cosine&sku=ACI
The other outfit that had both angle and cosine types, and sold them without the ring was http://www.trgt.com and they've changed hands and now I don't see the product listed...

[ 11-11-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 11-17-2003, 08:29 PM

Hey Brent... Glad you’re interested in the product. I manufacture the ACI and did manufacture "on special order" Angles indicated for Horus Vision. The cosine version does both as the cosines are in five degree increments. This is the method of choice by all of the military Snipers utilizing it. It has been in use, in Afghanistan, Iraq as well as other places on this Globe of ours for over three years. But knowing the "Angle" supposedly works the best with software when shooting at or beyond 1200 yards and at or above 40 degrees. This is because the ballistic coefficient of your bullet changes in flight and the tables in the software packages such as the ATRAG 1&2P, utilize these calcs. However, in order for the math to work with the software, “math is math, science is science”, you must have all of your variables in check. Torque settings, scope height above bore, MET Data etc… The ACI hasn’t failed anyone that I know of in the field, which may be why they have endorsed it on my web site.
Sniper Tools Web Site

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: W ]

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: W ]