Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Cosine Indicator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Re: Cosine Indicator

Ben, & Shadowman; THANK YOU! I am hoping to have Marty's mounts some time next week and will get them out to you as soon as possible. Also, I have updated my web site and have added more products (not mine) that you might be interested in. Exbal is one of them; however I am waiting on some specifics before I activate it. Also waiting on some more information on the Kestrelís; but they are available. If you have the time, please check my web site out. Sniper Tools Deisgn Co.

-W
Old 02-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Shadow man, if your work in meters and have a scope that adjusts in .1 miliradians, you don't even need a balisticard for the alterations to range/adjustment for incline/decline. The maths is so simple and can be done in a split second. I checked out my elevation adjustments for range the hard way ( not having a computer back then) by firing for check zero at every 25m from 25m to 650m. 650 was as far away as i could get from the target. Ive since moved into the computer age and can calculate the rest to 1000m and it checks out with what i had as known data. By keeping the balistic information i need to carry with me to a minimum it means i have a far better chance of memorising it. I stick to one caliber only for my long range hunting and know it well. I can quickly work out the adjustments to my base data in my head for most situations encountered.
The ACI is a god send for anyone hunting or shooting in hill country, i don't know how the hell i managed before i got mine.
Pete
Old 02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

You are totally correct, most who has used the mildot scopes for any length of time and practiced with it say the same thing, it's lightning fast. I never personaly knew anyone that had figured it out to help me figure it out and thus I was never able to use it as it was intended.

I just letting those people know that don't use that setup that even with a duplex and ranging in yards, that with a little "PRE PLANNING" like you stated that it is still very fast to do what needs to be done to make shot. For me its range, get angle, glance at range card, adjust scope and shoot.

As I said I agree with everything you have said and just wanted to emphasize the "PLANNING" part, this is the area where most people make their mistakes by failing to "PLAN". It ends up costing them time amoungst other things.

Thanks,
Ben