Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Silver Member
Re: Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

LongRange Demon TacKac,
A few of your concerns are unfounded,you dont need to use a whimpy 17cal rod just use a normal 22cal rod and sand down a 22cal brush (nylon ) so that a patch is not too tight in the bore. as for contamination it is a non-issue as long as you dont touch any thing with the tip of the dropper , if you are throwing the excess away ,you are needlessly wasting it. bottom line is if you give it an honest try and try and do the procedure correctly it is the best product on the market (if you can leave preconcieved bias's behind you)

Unread 06-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

The one Rifle that I would really like to try it on is my .223 Ackley but I really don't want to buy a new Rod in .17cal so thats out for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a nylon 22 cal brush, chuck it up in your drill and run it against some sandpaper or preferably a grinder to make it smaller. both 4ked and I did this and the resized brush works well. Just be careful not to grind it down too far.

As for the coppermelt's effectiveness, I cleaned my Dad's 338WM with it because everything else I tried just polished the copper - you could clearly see it at the end of the barrel. The first patch looked like something out of the back end of a baby, then the next 5 or so patches with coppermelt were NAVY BLUE!!! After 25 patches (20 strokes each patch) it was clean.
I keep nature balanced - I hunt everything!
Unread 06-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys I will do that...I will give it a try your saying if I have any left in my dropper I can go ahead and squirt it back in the bottle?...I just did not want to kill the enzimes in the bottle....I'm not hacking on the stuff just trying to figure out how delicate the stuff bottle really didn't come with much instructions.

Thanks brian b for the tip on the grinding the jag down.
Long Range Demon TacKac Out!
Unread 06-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Cleaned with Coppermelt after 30 rounds. I use a 6mm nylon brush for my 7mm bore. One thing Iíve found is that some of the 6mm brushes are different sizes by a little, and you may need to reduce them as needed.

One thing is that I only use about 5 or 6 strokes on the first patch. Thereís something about knowing how dirty the first will be that wonít allow me to use 15 strokes on the first patch.

Sometimes if Iíve fired more than I should without cleaning I will run a patch wet with Coppermelt on a jag through and let it set for a couple of minutes and then do the wrapped patch routine. After that it only takes a few minutes and youíre done.

Unread 06-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

guys, I didn't get out this weekend hopefully this coming.. But on a side note. I noticed my sportsmans warehouse got 10 new bottles of Coppermelt in. I guess they are in business again.
Unread 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM

How tight is too tight? I am using a 22 cal brush on my six ackley and it is snug. I tried a 6.5 brush on my 308 and it was easy to push back and forth, but both seemed too work. Which is better? One caliber smaller or two? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 06-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

A 22 caliber brush needs to be ground down a bit to clean a 6mm. Or you can use a 17 caliber rod and brush and it works fine but is a little hoaky.

Generally, you want to go down 3 brush sizes from your bore size (not counting the weird Euro and forgotten calibers) so that you can run the patch in and out of your bore up to 40 strokes without it shredding the patch. It should "sing" when it is the right tightness while you run it down the bore.
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.