Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Gold Member

Re: Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

It's truely great in my rigs factory tube and all. My new Lilja should be a dream to clean when it gets here! What was the first best GG??
Old 06-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

goodgrouper,
I understand where your coming from. I was a little testy yesterday too.. sorry. Thanks for the offer but if you think it will work. I'll just go to a med supply store or pharmacy and get a sterilized dropper? As long as plastic is ok?

I think I'll shoot the rifle again soon and give her a try again. I really want the stuff to work. If it doesn't I'll be very dissappointed..

Thanks to everyone that has helped out. I'll give you an update after I shoot it next.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

GoodGrouper...I did shoot my Rifle and cleaned with CopperMelt.. but as stated I tried it out first on what I considered a clean bore..and it did nothing, Now when I went to the range I fired 40-50 rounds out of my .308 then cleaned with CopperMelt.. it took me longer to monkey around with wraping patches and stuff than just cleaning the old fashion way..My cleaning regimenet is very simple first I run a wet patch of Shooters choice through then I brush, next dry bore, then flush with denatured alcohole, next go to sweets ...it only takes 3-4 patches of sweets , then dry and flush one more time with Alcohole. this all takes about 5 min after I'm done not even CopperMelt can find copper in my bore. The CopperMelt makes for a great decoration on for my loading bench..other than that I found it to be useless..atleast for me...I know the stuff works I'm not disputing that but wraping patches smaller brushes...making sure you have the right core on your brushes and Not contaminating the stuff is just too much for me. Who knows maybe I'll make a Christmas ornimate out of the CopperMelt Bottle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Goodgrouper, I also can attest to the quality of Final Finish. I have a Sendero 25-06 that from the factory had a
reasonably accurate barrel but fouled badly,not the first
time that this happened with a Sendero. When I would clean
the bore I would have a sack of patches. After I treated the
bore my group size reduced from 7/8" to 1/2" & the bore
would clean with a fraction of the patches.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

If wrapping patches is too difficult for you, and you consider dealing with multiple bronze brushes and multiple jags and flushing solutions before and after the stinky ammonia as simple, then I must be all bassackwards!
Jeez man, come on.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I really testify to the smoothing properties of Final Finish. I just got done with load development on a friends factory 300 win mag that took 9 patches of coppermelt to come clean before FF, now it takes 3! Great stuff-especially for a factory barrel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

lol Goodgrouper I was just funnin ya about the patches ...I know my way takes longer...and no wrapping patches is no big deal...I don't know man I guess I'm just more comfortable using my old fasion way. The one thing that I am just not sure about the coppermelt is how easy is it to actually contaminate it? I mean I"m not touching dirty patches with the droper or anything..and what ever is un-used i my dropper I get rid of it ...I do not dump it back in the bottle. Maybe I'm just being to carefull? Dunno. The one Rifle that I would really like to try it on is my .223 Ackley but I really don't want to buy a new Rod in .17cal so thats out for now. Like I said before there is no doubt the stuff works..I guess what turned me off is the contaminating part.