Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

7Rumloader,
#1 The core of the nylon brush is steel.
#2 The patch size was .270-.30cal. It fit tight enough to squeak but not difficult to push down..
From the sounds of it I needed to scrub more.. I was only using 5-6 complete strokes each patch.

Goodgrouper,
Well thats a good point, but I felt like I understood how to use the cleaner. I read your post and back when the coppermelt site was working I had read the directions from the site. Plus I wouldn't say I wasted them. I used them.. If you really want to help me then help don't insult me..

I don't have a bore scope so I can't tell you for sure that it was clean. But I cleaned with Barnes CR10 till the patches are white. Thats the best I've used so far. I know you can use Butches and get white patches and still have copper in the barrel. That why I use Butches, then Barnes.

Lastly, my method of using the coppermelt out of the can was to pour some of it into a unused squeeze bottle. Then squeeze a few drops from it onto the patches.. Could this be a problem?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, my method of using the coppermelt out of the can was to pour some of it into a unused squeeze bottle. Then squeeze a few drops from it onto the patches.. Could this be a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that the enzymes are very sensitive to contamination and that it is to be used only from the factory container. I would try using some of it out of the original container and see if there is a difference. Your bottle should have come with little dropper to use.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

Well Bowman you answered my questions amd from the sound of it you are doing it pretty well with the exception of too few strokes. Try doing at least 10 to 15 strokes per patch and see what happens.
On the squeking when you push it through I have never had this except when I used a 22 cal brush and patch in 22.250's but it was a little tight pushing it and shreded patches too fast ( I didn't have a 17 cal brush and rod yet ). You may need to tune your brush patch combo a little for optimum performance if you can't get 10 to 15 strokes with your current setup but try it first.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] This could most definitly be a problem like johnny 5 already stated. There was supposed to be a dropper included with it that you use so the enzymes won't be contaminated and killed.
Lastly your going about it in the right manner but need more strokes and use the dropper if you have it and if not find a sterile one from a medical supply place and use it to prevent contamination and rule out that possibility.
The stuff really works great in all my guns and my friends that have tried it also love it! Hope it works for you soon!
Keep us posted on your findings.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Gentlemen,
The bottle I purchased did not come with a dropper...I guess I should go out and by a dropper and use the solution straight from the bottle? I guess I was worried that way would contaminate the main bottle??

I will go shoot and use this method with more strokes down the barrel and see what happens. Thanks guys
Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Ha guys just a heads up, but with my daughters brand new Rem 270, it also took 30+patches the first few times. Not that they were coming out all blue but they were still dirty.

Some where around the 50-75 shot count during break-in it started to use less and after the 100 mark it dropped down to around 8-10 patches.

Now she shoots 20 rounds and cleans with the same about 8 patches. Maybe its due to how ruff the bore is and as barrel was broke in and smoothed out it now takes less time and patches to clean.

Custom barrels are already hand lapped smooth thus the reason we're able to clean them easier with less patches from the start. Stick with it and give the stuff a chance and you may yet be happy with the end results.

Ben
Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Boman,
My intent was not to insult in any way. I just meant that it is unfortunate that you wasted (used) 1/3 of your bottle which is roughly $10 before the red flag went up. This wonderful product was hard to find for awhile and it is just unfortunate that you had this experience with it.

After reading your other post, I am willing to bet that the bottle you used to put Coppermelt in was probably contaminated and killed more than half of the enzyme before it ever went into your barrel. I realize you didn't get the instructions with your bottle as that would have told you the solution for your problem long before it ever became a problem.

If you need an extra pipette, I have many many of them and will gladly ship one to you.

If it seems that I got a little nervy, I apologize. It is just that a whole ton of misleading biases, rhetoric and myth get passed along in this industry because someone who isn't learned about the product or matter speaks of it like they know everything about it and they put it down before they really give it a good, fair try. Like Grandpappy Smith's campfire bull---- that he spreads along to his grandchildren and then they pass it along to their grandchildren and before you know it, a good idea got a mis-earned bad name.

One such product was the Browning Boss system. It was probably the most innovative invention in the last 40 years for reloaders and especially factory ammo shooters. The ability to tune the vibrations in your barrel so that the bullet leaves the muzzle in the most opportune time in it's occilation was truly the cat's meow and it is what all us reloaders do when we "tweek" our reloads to the rifle. But alas, it showed up in Grandpappy's deer camp one fall, and all grandpappy did was look at it and tell his fellow hunter that he got suckered into a marketing scheme and real men don't have do-dads on the end of their barrels and before you knew it, the boss was virtually eliminated because Grandpappy was too frightened of the new technology to try it before he bashed it. I am not saying that is what you are doing, I am just saying that I would hate to have that happen to Coppermelt. I think I would sell all my guns and go into skiing if I had to go back to the old fashioned way of cleaning guns. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

All you fellas shooting factory sandpaper bores should really look into David Tubb's Final Finish break in and throat maintenance systems. Your tube will come out smooth as a custom barrel, and then you will use 1/10 of the Coppermelt to get them clean. It is the second best product I have promoted here on LRH. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.